[WSIS CS-Plenary] Draft for Content of Themes - Repsonse for drafting groups

arne arne at my-mail.ch
Sun Sep 25 23:03:10 BST 2005

As someone who cannot be in Geneva right now and who is following the
Prepcom online, I want to thank the drafting group for this strong and
clear statement. Especially, it is good to see that the issue of
legitimacy was introduced, because it is an important strategic point
for the further process.

In some previous postings, the 'walk-out' option of civil society was
presented as 'retreat', leading to civil society silencing their own
voices and diminishing their own influence. I don't agree with this.
Rather, I think we should see the multistakeholder process as a
give-and-take game. Civil society wants to see its positions reflected
in the documents, and to achieve that end it lends legitimacy to the
summit and its outcomes (in a situation in which, during the past
years, the legitimacy of present arrangements of global governance has
been challenged widely). Governments, on the other hand, are trying to
maintain maximum control over policy processes but need the public
legitimacy given by civil society participation.

So, participation in summit processes is not a gift given to us, rather
it's the leverage and the bargaining power we have in negotiating with
the governments. I don't think governments would be relieved, as Avri
notes, if civil society withdrew from it's speaking rights -- if this
withdrawal would seriously challenge the declared multistakeholder
process of the summit. In fact, when the situation was similar in the
run-up to WSIS1, two years ago, the contrary happened: When civil
society declared the multi-stakeholder process to have failed and
announced a separate civil society declaration, the secretariat and
many governments were furious and made immense efforts (using both the
'carrot' and the 'stick') to get civil society back on board and thus
to secure the success of multi-stakeholderism (and thus of the summit
itself).

I'm not saying that the situation is the same this time, and I'm not
saying that civil society should necessarily withdraw. But I hope that
civil society actors who are in Geneva right now are using their
leverages and bargaining powers wisely and creatively.

Thanks for all the updates and reports, and good luck for the second
week!
Arne Hintz