[WSIS CS-Plenary] CSB Minutes - 24 Sept.

Thomas A Giovanetti tomg at ipi.org
Tue Sep 27 14:06:49 BST 2005

Jim has revealed the farce.

There is no single view of Civil Society. There is a diversity of opinions
within Civil Society, and any structure that attempts to derive a single
voice from "Civil Society" is nonsense.
______
Tom Giovanetti
President
Institute for Policy Innovation (IPI)
www.ipi.org

Jim McDonnell <jimmcdonnell at blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent by: plenary-admin at wsis-cs.org
09/27/2005 11:28 AM
Please respond to
plenary at wsis-cs.org

plenary at wsis-cs.org
cc

Subject
Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] CSB Minutes - 24 Sept.

[Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list.
Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific
people]

Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of
this message!
_______________________________________

What is going on here? The question of mediation between the HR caucus
and the Tunisian NGOs is a nonsense. We all know the realities of the
situation. So what is there to mediate?

 For me the persistence of this theme raises some questions about the
legitimacy of the CSb as an accurate reflection of the views of CS.

Jim

Jim McDonnell
Director of Advocacy
SIGNIS (World Catholic Association for Communication)

134 Worple Road

London SW19 4JF

UK
+44 (0) 208 946 3631
+44 (0) 7860 920 710
jimmcdonnell at blueyonder.co.uk

wsis at iprolink.ch wrote:

>[Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire
list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific
people]

>Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation
of this message!
>_______________________________________
>
>Dear all,
>
>Just for your information, please find below a summary of the CSB meeting
held
>on last Saturday (24 Sept., 11:30-16:30).
>
>Best,
>
>Philippe Dam
>
>==========
>
>Notes on Civil Society Bureau Meeting
>24 sept.-05
>

>2. Chairing of CSB and facilitate Chairing at Plenary
>-               The CSB designated Amir Barmaki and Titilayo Akinsanmi to
Chair the next CS
>Plenary meeting on Monday morning
>-               The CSB recommended that the HR Caucus statement on HRIC
should rather be
>supported by individual endorsements, rather than by a vote in CS
Plenary.

>7. Mediation
>The possibility of a Mediation Forum was made more precise by CSB
members.
>Invitation should be sent to Tunisian NGOs and to the Human Rights Caucus
>members. Adama Samassékou and Alain Maudoux, who previously expressed
their
>interest in such an initiative, were suggested as potential moderators
for this
>meeting.
>
>8. Speakers for Tunis Summit
>CSB members agreed to establish a methodology for designation of CS
speakers for
>the Tunis Summit recommended to Mr. Utsumi by the CSB.
>This process should be finalized before the end of PrepCom-3.
>                -               WSIS Roundtables speakers (2 speakers for
each of 2 Round Tables)
>                -               WSIS High Level Panel (1 speaker)
>                -               Speakers for the Opening session (1
speaker)
>                -               Speakers for the seven Plenary Meetings
>The CSB agreed for the methodology for application and attribution of CS
>speaking slots, as well as precise criteria. Complete guidelines for each
>category of speaking slot would be circulated on Monday 26 September to
the
>Plenary. Deadline for application is Wednesday 28 September, 12:00.
>
>Please see documents containing guidelines and procedures, sent out to
the CS
>Plenary list on Sunday afternoon, in both English and French.
>
>Speaking slots for reporting on side events during Tunis Summit would be
>discussed later, since more information was needed from the WSIS ES.
>
>9. Overpasses in Tunis
>CSB members agreed to establish a methodology for the repartition of
overpasses
>assigned to civil society by the WSIS ES. This methodology would be based
on
>existing CS structures (Caucuses and Families).
>                -               Overpasses for WSIS High Level Panel (35
overpasses would be made available
>for civil society): the CSB would ask for 3 additional overpasses for
Civil
>Society, so that each existing active family or caucus could be
represented in
>the WSIS High Level Panel.
>                -               Overpasses for WSIS Plenary Meetings in
Tunis (600 overpasses are reserved
>for civil society, including 100 for Tunisian NGOs): the 500 overpasses
would
>therefore be distributed by the CSB Secretariat, on the basis of the
expected
>participation of CS structure members in Tunis Summit.
>Complete guidelines would be circulated on Monday 26 September to the
Plenary.
>Deadline for notification of interest by CS families and caucuses is
Friday 30
>September, 12:00.
>
>Please see documents containing guidelines and procedures, sent out to
the CS
>Plenary list on Sunday afternoon, in both English and French.
>
>10. Preparations for and logistics at Tunis Summit
>CSB Members established a list of issues which should be discussed with
the WSIS
>ES and the Tunisian authorities, to get further clarification in the
planning
>for Tunis. This includes:
>                -               Accommodation for persons with
disability;
>                -               Accommodation for CSB members (preferably
in the same place for better
>interaction);
>                -               Document importation for the Summit;
>                -               Civil society space in Tunis;
>                -               CS funding, including attribution
modalities for the funds pledged by the
>Tunisians;
>                -               Host country agreement, including
provisions related to immunity;