[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [governance] Speaking up and some additions

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Wed Sep 28 10:51:14 BST 2005

I like the way Avri has redone the statement, although I would have also
acknowledged efforts of the Chair Of PrepCom 3 and SubCom 3 as well in that
note. "We do appreciate the efforts of many countries, the Chair of the
PrepCom 3 and the Chairs of the SubCommittees to keep us included."

I agree with Ian that we should not threaten but find someway to keep the
goodwill of the others who have been supporting us and focus the
disatisfactionwith the others. . Perhaps words instead of "protest" could be
used, as protest could imply we walk out if we are not in. Perhaps
"denounce" or "unacceptable" or something stronger, which means register
dissent without meaning some action follows that statement.

I do also agree with Jeanette, Vittorio and Avri though, if done right and
right time, we can make an impact to get them see the irony of their own
statements about multistakeholder and transparency and we should DO IT NOW.

I would however like to add something constructive at the end that here is a
historic opportunity for them to walk the talk and work the way the world
really is today.

"There is a great opportunity for PrepCom 3 to put move forward with all the
progress we have made within the UN and WSIS. The UN Secretary General has
been at the forefront of gathering support for this change to ensure a
multistakeholder involvement in the UN. To exclude us now would amount to
taking a step backwards. When looking at issues regarding the Information
Society, we should ensure we work in partnership between all stakeholders to
ensure the betterment of the future of the Internet community now and the
generations to come."

My 2 cents worth from Singapore.

Laina