[WSIS CS-Plenary] LACK OF TRANSLATION TURNS AFRICAN CAUCUS INTO 'FRANCOPHONE CAUCUS'

Baguma Tinkasimire mafundi at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 11:43:21 BST 2005

Dear All,
This is to register my deep frustration at the
consistent at lack of translation during the African
Caucus proceedings which has turned the caucus into a
virtually Francophone Affair.
I raised this point severally during the 'African
Caucus' meetings and the explanation, that is
partially understandable, was that translations at
this Prep Com are voluntary. Granted.
But I was also in Tunis during the first Prep Com and
the situation was not different!
Additionally, the almost total lack of representation
of civil society entities from African countries which
are NOT French speaking is glaring. This, it might be
argued is nobody's fault but nevertheless it is a fact
that needs to be acknoledged if it is to be corrected.
I think it is critical that it is addressed both by
the CS Bureau and the caucus itself if any meaningful
inclusion is to be achieved.
Therefore the divide is not just the digital divide
but a language divide and exclusion.
Some of us have to report to our networks and this Iam
convinced is a matter so important it must be given
full and urgent attention.
This is because this exclusion, as far as I can see
will be not just perpetuated but also increased during
the Tunis activities in November.
We therefore need to candidly, seriously, urgently,
honestly and transparently tackle this challenge if
meaningful participation and inclusion for African
civil society is to be achieved.

Baguma

Baguma Tinkasimire Richard
P.O.Box 33315, Kampala,