[WSIS CS-Plenary] khan's reaction to our protest statement

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Wed Sep 28 13:20:45 BST 2005

Ralf, I'm not surprised at all that governments are being so nice. After
all, in the final analysis governments are irrelevant to setting up root
infrastructure.  The public-root is the proof in that.  I expect
governments will icreasing get nicer as they realize their collective
roles in this are of little significance.

cheers
joe baptista

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Ralf Bendrath wrote:

> Karklins just announced that the official decision with regards to our
> participation would be the "talk and walk" option. Directly afterwards,
> Civil Society asked for the floor, and Avri read the prepared protest
> statement.
>
> Everybody was listening closely, and you could feel how shocked and moved
> some of the government delegations were. The reaction by chairman Khan was
> really telling. Here are some soundbytes I was able to write down:
>
> "We have to work together as members of the same family"
> "This is about new relationships"
> "in this spirit we should work together"
>
> and even more interesting:
>
> "I will try to keep most business in plenary, giving the observers maximum
> opportunity to be involved and make statements"
> "In the meeting with the chairs of drafting groups I will host right now
> will address this point"
> "your concerns have been heard by all delegations here"
>
> The timing of our statement was excellent, and the message came across
> extremely clear. They have understood it - let's see how they react. My
> bet is that China will get under heavy pressure now.

Joe Baptista, Official Public-Root Representative and Lobbyist to the
United States Congress and Senate / Tel: +1 (202) 517-1593

Public-Root Disclosure Documents: http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/