[WSIS CS-Plenary] Karklins tells governments to work faster

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 28 14:38:13 BST 2005

Ambassador Karklins, President of the Prepcom, had a short meeting
with all heads of delegations today at 3pm.  He was pressuring them
to work faster.

Karklins
We have accomplished much, but progress is slow.  We are putting into
great danger the summit in Tunis.  Prepcom III is the last prepcom.
Rumors of another prepcom are false. When delegates are doing
wordsmithing in drafting committee they don’t understand where we
are. We have completed 15-25% of entire text.  We have 80% left and
we only have two and a half days. I appeal to all delegations to
instruct delegates with that understanding.

I made this appeal on Friday to regional groups. I hope this time my
appeal will be heard.  We must focus on narrowing down differences
and deleting brackets.

Tunisia
Tunisia is not willing to host or organize another prepcom.

Bangladesh
Let’s work in smaller groups on specific text to speed up our text.

Russian Federation
We are quite close in our positions on documents we are preparing.
We support changing working methods to work in smaller teams.

Switzerland
Let’s not renegotiate language agreed in Geneva phase

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United
Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524