[WSIS CS-Plenary] ALERT: new "terrorist" paragraph 50bis introduced

Jak Archibald james.archibald at mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 28 19:24:08 BST 2005

Dear Amir,

The following extract from a paper which I delivered to the ABC Europe
meetings at the Copenhagen Business School in late May may be of
interest to you in this regard.  The full text of the paper will be
published by the CBS later this year.  For more information on this,
please contact:Anne Marie Bülow-Møller [amb.kom at cbs.dk]

Best regards,

J. Archibald

Extract from: "Security and the New Communications Environment"

[...]
Inherent dangers presented by the information society of the XXIst
century

Such dangers truly exist and are increasingly part of the new
communications environment.  It becomes clear why the underlying
principles of security take on a new dimension in terms of the world's
ability to adopt an effective international policy through the WSIS
process.  The international community seems to be on its way to making
policy decisions to maintain stability, guarantee international security
and protect and promote human rights and freedoms and emergent
democratic institutions notwithstanding localized resistance to these
initiatives. The test will come with the future implementation of action
plans formulated in keeping with the WSIS Declaration of Principles.

The international community will have to develop a framework of Internet
governance to deal with pervasive issues of cyber-crime, local and
globalised terrorism and politically motivated extremism.  [...]