[WSIS CS-Plenary] Report on Sub-committee B, 1500-1800

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 16:58:29 BST 2005

World Summit on the Information Society

Prepcom III

Sub-committee B

1500-1800 hours

Notes by Rik Panganiban

Sub-committee B continues negotiation on new political chapeau, based
on WSIS-II/PC-3/DT/12. [Not available online yet.]

Paras 1A-1B

Cuba and Norway still leading negotiations

Para 5A

Sub-committee B begins w Para 5A

Ghana
Proposes to lead negotiations on combining 5A-G

US
On 5A-5G: Should have a short political chapeau.  Freedom of
expression and media issues already dealt with in Geneva doc, which
was hard fought text.  We propose elimination because they re-open
contentious issues.

Ghana
Delete 5A-G

Cuba
We will lead negotiations on 5A-G

Para 8A

US submits text

El Salvador adds “fully respecting human rights”

Honduras inserts “development”

Taken in brackets

Para 9

US
We prefer Alt9

NZ
We will coordinate work on this para.

Para 9A “open source”

US
Add “in ways that combine the advantages of all models” to “principally”

Brazil
We support including this in brackets.

Para 9B

Australia
Move to operational part

UK

Belarus
This text comes from a conference we had.  Let’s talk about this
bilaterally.

US
We have suggestions on this.

Para 10A

Para 11B “equitable multilateral trading system”

US
Has new text

Para 11C

Brazil will coordinate new text

US has alternative language

New US text: ”We recognize that the use of local languages in ICTs
promotes inclusion of all people in the information society, enhances
cultural diversity, and contributes to development.”

Para 11E “financial resources”

US, Australia, NZ and UK
This is a resource issue.  Should be in  operational part not here.

El Salvador, Honduras, Algeria, Cuba, Egypt
We need some references to mobilizing resources in the chapeau

Iran
Propose texts from millennium outcome document

Canada proposes new text.

Para 11F “public and private investment”

Australia
This para summarizes our debates on private sector and public sector
investment.  We should go back to Geneva language.

Para 11J “child helplines”

US, UK
Too detailed for political chapeau.  Move to operational part in part 7.

Chair
We really need to have some text on protecting children. Perhaps can
the NGO that proposed this please bring this text back to us.  We
will move this operational part.

UK and Canada will be happy to work on this to make it in line with
Geneva language.

Para 11K

Japan
“We reaffirm our desire to build ICT networks and develop
applications, in partnership with the private sector and civil
society, based on open or interoperable standards that are affordable
and accessible to all, available anywhere and anytime, to anyone and
on any device, leading to a [ubuquitous networked society.]”

para 11L
Ghana
This para is important to us.

UK
Reformulates: “We note the potential of ICTs and encourage their use
in identifiying conflict situations through early-warning systems,
preventing them, and promoting their peaceful resolution, mitigating
their consequences, protecting civilians, facilitating peacekeeping
missions, and post-conflict reconstruction towards free, open,
inclusive and just societies.”

Some opposition, so in negotiation still.

Para 12A

Chair
At 6:10pm we will come back here and start general discussion on
paper related to mechanisms.  We have tried to incorporate different
inputs that were made.

Then we continue on Chapters 1 and 4 tonight, without
interpretation.  We will finish our work today.

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United
Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524