[WSIS CS-Plenary] statement on follow up for WSIS

peyer at bfa-ppp.ch peyer at bfa-ppp.ch
Fri Sep 30 15:42:36 BST 2005

Hello,

For the positions of the governements on follow-up the positions are the following:

1. They will probably have to discuss this matter between now and Tunis, because
they have not been able to send much time on this crucial issue (they have spent
hours on the political chapeau, but only really started about international
implementation on wednesday)

2. There are quite differents positions at the moment:
a. EU is moving towards the recognition of the need for an international - or
cruss-cutting coordination - but the way they tend to see it is:
- not take any decision in the Tunis summit about what and how this structure
would be
- give a mandate to Kofi ANnan to make proposal about this implementation
mechanism or method until july 2006

b. Chili has proposed to reform the already existing "commission on science and
technologies for developement", as was stated in the press communiqué. But it
not so clear - at least for us - for the moment how they propose to reform this
commission.

So none of the governements has been talking really concretely about a new
commission - or not the way we did it in the press release. But the idea is the
air... It is a possibility to seriously study for civil society, even if the EU
position gets through and if Kofi Annan will be in charge of making proposal for
implementation and follow-up until july 2006.

The articulation with an internet governance forum and the global alliance
should definitely be discussed.

Regards
Chantal

By the way: Bertrand had sent a usefull paper which outlines the different
existing ecosoc commissions to the follow-up list (like the commission on
sustainable developement). Those interested could ask him or one of us for a copy.