[WSIS CS-Plenary] proposed list of speakers for Tunis

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 16:21:37 BST 2005

Dear Friends,

Please find attached the list of suggested nominees to be delivered
to the ITU for their consideration for the various speaking slots in
Tunis, as compiled by the selection committee which met until very
late last night. For your recollection, at the Plenary Session
yesterday morning, you approved of a selection committee to narrow
down the list of applicants composed of the following individuals:

     1 representative from each regional group
     1 representative of the CS Content and Themes
     1 representative of the CS Bureau
     1 representative of the WSIS Executive Secretariat in an
advisory capacity

The Committee worked hard to achieve several “balances” including
regional, gender, age, linguistic, and thematic.  We also worked hard
to make sure that all caucuses and working groups that proposed names
had at least one of their nominations included.  You see here the
regional and gender breakdown of the nominees:

     Opening Ceremony
     Gender: man (1) /  woman (1)
     Geographical Balance: Europe (1): Germany; Africa (1): Mali

     High Level Panel
     Geographical Balance: Africa (2): Kenya, Senegal; Asia (3):
Thailand, Philippines, India
     Gender balance : Women (3) / Men (2)

      Round Tables
     Geographical Balance: Africa (1) : Senegal; Asia (4) : India,
Japan, Philippines (2); North America (1); Europe (4) : France,
Germany (2), Russian Federation
     Gender balance : Women (4) / Men (6)

     Plenary Sessions
     Geographical Balance: Africa (9): Cameroon (1); Guinea (1);
Kenya (2); Nigeria (1) ; Tunisia (3); South Africa (1); Zambia (1);
Americas (3):  Brazil (1), United States (2); Asia (4): Bangladesh
(1), India (1), Iran (1), Philippines (1); Europe (3): Ireland (1),
France (2), United Kingdom (1)
     Gender balance : Women (10) / Men (12)

There were many wonderful nominations, and narrowing down the list
was a very difficult and painful task.  However we feel confident
that the current list is a good one that we hope meets with your
approval.

Sincerely,

Rik Panganiban
On Behalf of the Selection Committee

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United
Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524