[WSIS CS-Plenary] PrepcomIII "suspended" until Tunis, "negotiation group" continues

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 20:44:36 BST 2005

Hello all,

We just finished at around 2100 hours Prepcom III (sort of) , with a
vague lack of resolution on the main issues and texts.  The
presumption is that the Prepcom will re-convene for 3 days or so in
Tunis just before the Summit.  Here is the essence of what Amb.
Karklins, President of the Prepcom, stated:

> Chair
> We will suspend the prepcom today.  We will re-convene at a later
> stage.  There will be an open-ended negotiation group chaired by
> the president of the prepcom with a mandate to negotiate the
> political chapeau, chapter 1, 2, and 4.  The group would meet in
> two sessions, one session on outstanding issue in political chapeau
> and financial mechanisms.  Other session to address issues in
> chapter 1 and 4 (implementation and follow-up).  The sessions will
> take place in October for 2-3 days.  The aim is to conclude
> negotiations on all issues.
>
> Chapter 3 should be sent directly to the resumed session of prepcom 3.
>
> We mandate the bureau to decide on modalities of the resumed
> prepcom 3.

Rik Panganiban
CONGO