[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Global Alliance approved by Kofi Annan

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Apr 4 22:27:41 BST 2006

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ictpolicy]  Secretary-General's approval of the UN Global
Alliance for ICT and Development
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:44:00 -0400
From: Sarbuland Khan <khan2 at un.org>
CC: sergei kambalov <kambalov at un.org>

Dear Colleagues,

I am delighted to report that we have just received formal approval for the
launch of the Global Alliance from Secretary-General Kofi Annan.  This
work-in-progress has been a long time in the making, and the outcome is a
result of the tireless efforts of all who participated in consultations
preparing the ground for this initiative.

In keeping with the open approach we have employed throughout the year-long
consultation process, we are now planning to engage all interested parties
to develop the arrangements for running this decentralized network of
stakeholders in information and communication technologies for development.
I encourage you to share your views and hope that your organization will
become involved in the work of the Alliance as it rapidly takes shape.

We will be expediting steps for the formation of the Steering Committee and
Strategy Council, the outreach campaign to potential participants, the
development of a draft Business Plan, and the programme for the inaugural
meeting with a view to a launch in Kuala Lumpur in the week of 19 June
2006.

We wish to spread the net as wide as possible and to solicit inputs to the
next phase of activity. A web-based portal is being developed that will
include background documentation and information updates so that we can
communicate with the public. A number of upcoming meetings will provide an
opportunity to amplify news of the Alliance’s launch, including the CEB in
Madrid, the GIIC in Washington DC, and the ICC and OECD in Paris, as well
as the GKP in Sri Lanka and the WSIS follow-up information week in Geneva
in May.  We encourage you, too, to share this news with your own key
constituents.

The Global Alliance represents an opportunity for the UN system to come
together around ICT to promote the achievement of the internationally
agreed development goals in partnership with all other stakeholders from
government, business and civil society. The Alliance also provides a common
platform for the UN system and other key stakeholders to contribute to the
follow up to the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) by the
Economic and Social Council and the Commission on Science and Technology
for Development. Its principal purpose is to mainstream and integrate ICT
into the broader UN development agenda. Your organization’s active
participation is critical to its success and part of all stakeholders’
obligation to implement the outcome of the WSIS. We look forward to working
with you to bring ICT to bear on our shared development challenges.

Best regards,

Sarbuland Khan
Director
Office for ECOSOC Support and Coordination
Department of Economic and Social Affairs
1 UN Plaza, DC1-1428
New York, NY 10017
Tel: 212 963 4628
email: khan2 at un.org