[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [Wsis-pct] IP Justice Comment to IGF on Top Policy Issues for Athens

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Sat Apr 1 12:02:51 BST 2006

Dear Taran
> Isn't the problem then with the German Law rather than the document?
the recent German law ( transcription of the European directive )
is even more repressive than the French one, and does not
include DRM interoperability.
I don(t know the legislative status of this law.
Any info from Germany ?

It would be good that all Europeans unite their efforts
against those laws/

> I think it's dangerous to dismiss DRM the concept.
It is the reverse, the DRM concept is dangerous, because
it limits Freedom and would extend to digital objects what
is valid for material things.
Digital objects are in nature different from material objects in
the sense that they cannot be replicated, and "consuming" them
does not destroy them.
Therefore to simply extend concepts originating from category
of objects to another is just not waranted.
It is a question of semantic and basic philosophy.

then
First, a obvious danger is that
DRMs are going to lead into a police state.

Second, there is a belief that in order to be financially
compensated you need DRMs, this is *wrong*.
Imagination must spent towards exploring non-DRM based
schemes instead of trying to implement DRMs that are going
to be one day or another cracked.

One non-DRM based is the "Global Patronage" scheme,
that has been described on this list, but they might be others,
as I hinted in other posts ( Artic Monkeys, etc... )

It is quite regretable that the Korean Civil Society
  is not more involved
in the WSIS, because it is one of the most advanced
country in the world, that is connected trough a fiber
optic network, and could give us hints of things to come.
File sharing occurs on a massive scale that is not
yet thinkable elsewhere.

Interestingly the commercial Soribada P2P file
"to charge 500 won for users downloading music files labeled with
digital right management, 700 won for music files without DRM"

http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail_top.html?id=200603270001&art_grad=9

article en Français :
http://www.ratiatum.com/news2992_En_Coree_le_DRM_se_paye_moins_cher.html

It yet another example that DRM is not required.
DRM is a pest, better not to be contaminated by this pandemic.

Best

Francis

>The implementations
> are where I have problems. It's much like the patent system, which
> extends way beyond software... the patent system doesn't really do what
> the concept of patents is supposed to do in the first place, and while
> hacking around it in GPLv3 draft might be effective in the short term,
> it's only attacking the symptom. So is attacking DRM in this manner,
> though I am subject to change my opinion. over the next few days (and
> subsequently, the rest of my life).
>
> DRM could have valid implementations - for example, to assure that the
> rights of Free Software are maintained. Rights are rights, but licenses
> vary - and so do implementations of objects.
>
> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>> I would support any of these specific recommendations in another
>> context.  But this document takes a point of view that accepts DRM,
>> per se, as legitimate.  It opposes the prohibition of P2P software,
>> but doesn't call for the legalization of P2P sharing; it says nothing
>> to oppose laws such as the new German law, which would imprison all
>> people for sharing movies.
>>
>> For that reason, I have to urge people not to endorse the document.

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
Associate Publisher
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

ENSTA   Paris, France
KNIS lab.  Director
"Knowledge Networks & Information Society" (KNIS)
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web