[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [Wsis-pct] IP Justice Comment to IGF on Top Policy Issues for Athens

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Apr 1 21:28:19 BST 2006

    Isn't the problem then with the German Law rather than the document?

That is a strange assumption, that it has to be one or the other.

The newly proposed German law is bad, and the document is flawed
because it doesn't oppose such proposals.

    I think it's dangerous to dismiss DRM the concept.

We should not dismiss it, we should oppose it.

     The implementations
    are where I have problems.

Many implementations have secondary problems of various kinds, and the
document is flawed because it criticized only these secondary
problems, without condemning the thing that is basically wrong in DRM:
that it uses your computer to restrict you.

    DRM could have valid implementations - for example, to assure that the
    rights of Free Software are maintained.

That idea is a pipedream, completely impossible.
(You would need magic, not DRM, to achieve that.)

However, even if it were possible to do this, it would not justify the
harm that DRM normally does.