[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [A2k] Re: [Wsis-pct] IP Justice Comment to IGF on Top Policy Issues forAthens

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 2 03:38:15 BST 2006

I would oppose anything that speaks of "managing" "rights."

Just so you know.

It really is a sick concept, in the very phrasing.

Consider this: what if the phrase were "exclusive rights
management?"

Obviously that's about restrictions; obviously that's really what
the motivation is; obviously that's a more correct term than
"rights" alone; obviously there's no reason to come up with
"digital" rights as such, right?

I'm not endorsing this terminology -- just presenting it as an
illustrative example, to show that this would be more honest and
true to the nature of the issue than the phrase "digital rights
management" tends to convey.  Though I would find it just as
abhorrent, I think that supporters would recognize phrase
"exclusive rights management" as an appropriate, felicitous,
"neutral-sounding" phrasing.  And at the same time I would have
much more confidence that the discourse about exactly what the
concept implies would be accurate and honest and truthful.  And
by extension, eventually everybody would recognize that they
don't really want it.

Let me reiterate:  You do not and will not find me using the
phrase "exclusive rights management."  I just present it for
those who need an example that they might find more "neutral."

Now, if you want security and privacy and anonymity -- I strongly
urge you to cease putting these notions under the terminology of
"DRM."  These are not about copyright, and "DRM" is a term
intended to convey bogus premises about copyright, as well as, to
be sure, to confuse copyright with private interest areas.

As a further illustration, let me say that my general line on
TCPA and Palladiation basically comes down to that I will oppose
it as long as there is a failure to distinguish that sort of
functionality from copyright.

And that is what we all have to do.  We must oppose the
misapplication of copyright to attack our fundamental liberties.
"DRM" is all about that.

Seth