[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [A2k] Re: [Wsis-pct] IP Justice Comment to IGF on Top Policy Issues for Athens

Peter Eckersley pde at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Apr 2 08:00:09 BST 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 01:15:21AM -0400, Taran Rampersad wrote:

> If you say that creators have no rights over what they create, I suppose
> that could be seen as trolling. Is that your contention?

I can't deny that they have legal rights.

I do deny that that the exclusive right of reproduction (or the de facto
exclusive right of access) is a moral right, a natural right, a human right,
etc.  It's a legalised monopoly, and in digital environments it's dubious
policy.

--
Peter Eckersley
Department of Computer Science   &                  mailto:pde at cs.mu.oz.au