[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] [A2k] Re: [Wsis-pct] IP Justice Comment to IGF on Top Policy Issues forAthens

Philippe Aigrain philippe.aigrain at wanadoo.fr
Tue Apr 4 16:52:17 BST 2006

Jamie,

I dare to disagree. The term DRM was developed to emphasize total usage
control and pay per usage. DRMS (the S is for systems which tells you a lot)
are worse than TPMs not better. They only claim to be TPMs for benefitting
from the outlawing of circumvention. It is not accurate to say that the GPL,
Creative Commons or free software licenses such as Apache or Berkeley are in
any manner DRMs. Some of them (the GPL and Creatvie Commons) are even
explicit about NOT managing rights, but only stating them. This is called
"rights expression" or "rights information" or even simpler "permission
notices".
For a detailed analysis see my text "DRMS and free
software" (http://www.debatpublic.net/Members/paigrain/blogue/DRMS#english)
or from a copyright law perspective Julie Cohen's papers
(http://www.law.georgetown.edu/faculty/jec/publications.html) emphasizing how
the transfer of the judgment on the legitimacy of usage from an a posteriori
judicial decision to an a priori technology implementation is a major danger
for intellectual freedoms.

Best,

Philippe Aigrain

--