[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [A2k] Re: [Wsis-pct] IP Justice Comment to IGF on Top Policy Issues for Athens

Ian Brown I.Brown at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 20:53:18 BST 2006

Taran Rampersad wrote:
> Litigation is the original mechanism of 'Digital Rights Management', and
> it's what got us here in the first place - designing licenses so we
> wouldn't have to litigate as much. Litigation costs money. I'm surprised
> how many people are stuck on one implementation of Digital Rights
> Management.

I do not think that the common usage of "DRM" includes the legal
enforcement of restrictions on the use of digital content. It's about
attempts at digital enforcement of restrictions on content use.

Technology is unlikely in most of our lifetimes to have the subtlety of
understanding of (most) courts of the validity of the copyright and
contract provisions expressed in these restrictions. This has led to the
problems of which we are all aware with anti-competitive, invasive,
fair-use-destroying DRM systems.