[WSIS CS-Plenary] briefing on WSIS tomorrow (thursday) at UN

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 1 22:24:14 GMT 2006

Dear Rik
Just to clarify : there is the "ITU reform meeting" convened by the ITU Council on february 23th which is open to the WSIS stakeholders, and on the follwing day there is the "WSIS Action lines coordinators' meeting". Is this meeting a"closed" or more or less "open" one ? In other words : is it worth staying a day more in Geneva for CS members ?
Thanks for giving us some info on that
Best
Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 01/02/06 22:03
> De : "Rik Panganiban"
> A : "wsis-cs-plenary"
> Copie à :
> Objet : [WSIS CS-Plenary] briefing on WSIS tomorrow (thursday) at UN
>
> Sorry folks, I only saw this just now.  Which funny because I'm speaking on the panel!  Hopefully some other active WSIS people can be there.

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

DPI/NGO Briefing

> The World Summit on Information Society
> Second Phase, Tunis, Tunisia 16 – 18 November 2005

> 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.
> at the Dag Hammarskjöld Library Auditorium

Background Information:
The second phase of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) evaluated the progress made since the Geneva phase in December 2003 and produced two outcome documents – The Tunis Commitment and The Tunis Agenda for the Information Society. The breakthrough agreement on Internet governance acknowledged the need for enhanced cooperation to enable governments and created the Internet Governance Forum to foster and enable multi-stakeholder dialogue on public policy and development issues. The outcome documents also reaffirmed that financing of ICT deployment was vital to meeting the MDGs and welcomed the creation of the Digital Solidarity Fund. The Tunis Agenda established a list of moderators/facilitators for each of the eleven Action Lines in the original Geneva Action Plan. Their first meeting to coordinate the implementation of the Geneva and Tunis agreements will take place on 24 February in Geneva.
Speakers:
During the panel discussion from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Mohamed Samir Koubaa, Deputy Permanent Representative of Tunisia to the United Nations; Henk-Jan Brinkman, Senior Economic Affairs Officer, Executive Office of the Secretary General; Sergei Kambalov, Chief, ECOSOC and Interorganizational Cooperation Branch, Office of ECOSOC Support and Coordination, DESA; Deputy Executive Coordinator of the Secretariat of the United Nations Information and Communication Technologies Task Force; and Rik Panganiban, Communications Coordinator, Conference on NGOs, will talk about the follow-up to WSIS, the proposed Global Alliance as a follow up to the ICT Task Force and the $100 laptop initiative.
For more information on WSIS, please visit http://www.itu.int/wsis/basic/faqs.asp
For more information on $100 laptop, please visit
> http://www.undp.org/dpa/pressrelease/releases/2006/20060128-laptop.shtml and/or
> http://laptop.media.mit.edu/
A video on the importance of bridging the digital divide will be shown at 10:00 a.m.
The new DPI/NGO Section website will be presented from 11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
A live webcast of the event may be available at www.un.org/dpi/ngosection and/or www.un.org/webcast

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524

* Information on the WSIS at http://www.ngocongo.org/wsis