[WSIS CS-Plenary] Gender equality and ITU

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 8 07:06:43 GMT 2006

Dear all
ITU and gender equality : a quasi antinomy ?
Despite recurrent solemn speeches of its Secretary general in international arenas since a decade, the "board" of the ITU which is elected during the Plenipotentiary Conference (ITU jargon : PP) is still exclusively made up of men : Mr Utsumi (Secretary general), Mr Blois (deputy Secretary general), Mr Toure (Diector of ITU-D), Mr Zhao (Director ITU-T, Mr Timofeev (Director ITU-R. And even its most important consultative groups are quasi exclusively masculine.
Are ICTs a pure men's affair ? Let's see what will come out of the hats during PP 06. I guess the same scenario will go on.
I therefore urge our very active "Gender Caucus" to react accordingly by submitting a strong reform proposal to the ITU Secretary general.
Best regards
Jean-Louis Fullsack