[WSIS CS-Plenary] SV: [Pwd] Finalization of the CS Statement

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Fri Feb 10 16:11:47 GMT 2006

Dear Kicki,

Thank you for your interest and follow up comment on this topic, as it was
an area that generated heated debate and the language was eventually
determined with the finalization of the CS Statement.

It is good to hear that mental health is part of primary care in Sweden and
not surprising as Sweden is recognized as a progressive country in a variety
of areas.  Likely there may be a couple of countries which have mental
health included as part of  primary healthcare, however, I  would be
interested in hearing more as having some services included does not
necessarily mean there is parity for mental and physical health and that it
is a seamless service.  It would be wonderful to see that this is truly
beginning to happen in some countries and likely Sweden could be a role
model in this process.

However, for the remainder of the world, mental health is not a seamless
process within primary health care. The CS Statement applies to all nations
which was why it was important to include mental health in the health
section.  I have always been impressed by Sweden's  progressive perspective
on various societal issues.

In fact, Sweden is especially well represented at the UN, as the president
of the General Assembly, Jan Eliasson, is from Sweden.  I had attended an
informal briefing in December for NGOs with Jan Eliasson and another
meeting, yesterday, where he spoke about the progress on UN reform and what
role civil society can play.  Eliasson is an exceptional leader and is held
in high regard in the CS community with a long history of humanitarian field
experience. Unfortunately, he only has six months left of his one year term
as president of the UNGA.

Based on my experience with representatives from Sweden, likely Sweden will
continue to be a role model in a variety of areas.

Best regards,

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
Health and ICT Working Group
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies;
Communications Coordination Committee for the UN;
UN NGO Committee on Mental Health