[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: IGP: Internet Governance Forum Takes Shape

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 24 14:04:21 GMT 2006

[Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response
goes to the entire [plenary] list.  Also posted,
in line with earlier responses, to [mmwg].
Kindly use individual addresses for responses
intended for specific people]

Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access
automatic translation of this message!
_______________________________________

I will speak only plainly here, to wit:

At 8:49 AM +0100 2/24/06, Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:
>Dear list
>
>Looking forward to the IGF and thinking about
>the inclusion of the "controversial issues", we
>should first look into todays challenge and what
>is going on with the IANA function. The DOC has
>posted a call "to explore options for Contractor
>performance of three interdependent technical
>Internet coordination functions." This includes
>the coordination of the assignment of technical
>protocol parameters, the performance of
>administrative functions associated with root
>management and  the allocation of IPv4 and IPv6
>delegations of IP address space.
>
>The present contract between ICANN and US DOC
>terminates end of March. While the main
>discussion on US and ICANN concentrated on the
>MoU - which terminates in October 2006 - the
>IANA contract goes to the heart of the
>"controversy".
>
>It is interesting that the DOC asks potential
>respondents to describe their existing
>relationships with, inter alia "f. national
>governments or public authorities associated
>with specific ccTLD domains" which would enable
>respondents to successfully perform each of the
>three functions.
>
>But more important is that also the new contract
>would be under "all applicable US laws,
>regulations, policies and procedures".
>
>When the IGF starts in October 2006, I guess,
>the deal is already done with regard to the IANA
>function.

The deal is not done.  It has not been done - for quite some years now.

The US has, and will, act.  And that has been a
contorted set of steps, reversals, feints and
simply ambiguous muddles, along with some good
stuff.  And so that will go on.  But so has the
rest of the world acted, and continues to act.
That has led - in my view, fortunately - to a
forum where these matters can be engaged,
hopefully in a useful way that previous history
has not been able to find.  The guerilla war of
the past decade or so has repeatedly stalemated;
in my view, we do not need more of that same.

Indeed, the task at the moment is to shape a
forum where these questions _do_ find some way
forward - the entire point of my post below.

>Best regards
>
>wolfgang

In this regard, I note Bill's sage review of
dance and politics - certain suzerainty is better
than the abyss, huh?  And Milton's, too.

As to relevance for modalities (this is
cross-posted), one of the immediate questions is
topic or theme.  Milton has particularly spoken
out for getting to the point - this could hardly
be more to the point.  My own view however is
that, rather than wave a red flag at the bull in
the ring, we might start with something
(seemingly) less inflammatory.  But most that we
are likely to consider will - in the end - bring
up the same fundamental differences.

Whichever topic, there will be real motion
forward - after ten or so years - only if we do
bring those deep, implicit, fundamental
differences up, out and onto the table.  IMO.

David