[WSIS CS-Plenary] FW: <incom> Creating spaces for civil society (and ICT enabled communities) (post) WSIS

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 9 19:50:36 GMT 2006

Michael,

We've heard this message from you a number of times about grassroots
inclusion, and its good that you continue to hold our feet to the fire.

 From the first prepcom, I have always felt that the NGOs who managed
to get accredited to the Prepcoms were not going to necessarily be
the ones who were actually on the ground implementing important ICT-
related projects at the grassroots.  Lots of this is due to the cost
of participation, the UN / ITU cultures, the existing NGO networks
present, and a lack of outreach.

Luckily, as WSIS progressed, I saw more and more groups who were
actually doing good stuff on the ground being involved in the WSIS.
I.e. the grassroots caucus, telecentres caucus, human rights caucus
and others were actually being populated by folks with direct
connections to the people being impacted.   Not by the tens of
thousands perhaps, but certainly more than the handful of "UN NGO
professionals" like myself who tend to dominate these events.

I think many of us would agree with you that much more needs to be
done to bring into the fold the real civil society on all levels,
particularly the ones who are doing the heavy lifting on the ground.
We appreciate very much your advice on how to make this happen, given
our significant resource and staffing constraints as we enter into
the implementation phase.

I think a key question lots of us have is how to make sure that
researchers, grassroots activists and NGO networks on the ground are
involved in the national level implementation process.  Ultimately
much of the battle is going to be at the state and local levels.

Best regards,

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

On Dec 27, 2005, at 6:24 PM, Gurstein, Michael wrote:

> Hi Willie,
>
> My compliments on your thoughtful and informative commentary on the
> WSIS
> process and sorry that my response has been so delayed but real life
> intervenes from time to time...
>
> Let me start by saying that I well recognize and applaud the "gains"
> that "Civil Society" seems to have made at WSIS. They were, in the
> context of Internet Governance and even in broader and longer term
> matters of modalities of "global governance" potentially of
> considerable
> significante.
>
> My problem is that I don't see any necessary connection between "Civil
> Society" as it was constituted before, during and apparently after
> WSIS
> and the kinds of "Information Society" issues and objectives with
> which
> I'm concerned.
>
> A bit of background.  I'm the Chair of a Research Network that is
> concerned with "Community Informatics", that is "using ICTs to enable
> and empower local communities".  Most of the researchers in the
> network
> including myself are working with communities, community activitists,
> community ICT practitioners in trying to figure out how, and then
> implementing ICTs to support the range of applications of interest to
> local communities--e-learning, e-health, local economic
> development, and
> so on.
>
> I would say that both the researchers and those in communities see the
> problem with most ICT4D efforts and why most haven't been
> successful as
> being that they are implemented "top down" and fail to include those
> most directly concerned, the users and the local implementers, in
> their
> design, development and implementation.
>
> Before I came to WSIS I did a fairly extensive round of consulting
> with
> both the practitioner and the research networks around these and
> related
> WSIS issues.  What I got from the practitioner side was a very strong
> sense that they hadn't been included in WSIS; that they didn't see any
> way for themselves or their interests or concerns to be included in
> the
> process; and that the whole thing was pretty much of a waste of time.
> What I got from the researchers was a sense that whatever was being
> done
> in ICT4D so far, whether through WSIS or related efforts, was more
> top-down business as usual.
>
> So I should say that I didn't come to WSIS with the assumption that
> re-adjusting processes of Internet Governance or making advances for
> "Civil Society" in global governance processes was going to have much
> significance for the folks that I was in discussion with.  And what
> concerned me even more was that all the policy space was being
> [...]

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United
Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524