[WSIS CS-Plenary] Next session of CSTD 15-19 May

richard jordan richardjordan at lycos.com
Thu Jan 19 13:50:17 GMT 2006

More complicated than just going to the web site.

In order to involve many more civil society organizations and NGOs without ECOSOC status, there are regional consultations that then lead into the Civil Society Forum that occurs at the Ministerial segment of the Governing Council (in a few weeks) and at the Governing Council itself.

Thus, for example, World Harmony Foundation, of which I am the CEO, submitted an application before the Nov. 14 deadline, and we will be accredited in a few weeks. We are not ECOSOC but we can now participate in the CS Forums and will observe in the meetings.

This does not give you automatic ECOSOC status, but it does let two reps participate in the CS Forum and then observe at the Gov. Council or Mionisterial.

There are now MANY examples of NGOs that are not ECOSOC accredited participating in UN meetings, Small Arms now at the UN in NY is another good example, as well as the Disability meetings going on now at the same time.

The Highly Migratroy Fish Stock and Straddling Fish Stock Conference was a prime example of small grassroots NGOs literally intervening for 30 seconds at appropriate times. It's my favorite example of how NGOs first were literally not wanted in the room and after 2 years, voila, speaking on issues very much to the point. Greenpeace also was in the process.

I could provide other examples, but this is sufficient for now.

Richard