[WSIS CS-Plenary] Evaluation and documentation of CS in WSIS

Al Alegre alalegre at fma.ph
Wed Jan 25 10:56:19 GMT 2006

I have been requested to post my original response to Robert re: suggestions on
CSB Reform; as some messages (Tracy and Francis) refer to it in the subsequent
thread. Sorry for not posting it to Plenary--it was sent to the Bureau list and
to the Asia Pacific list originally.

Here it is (sent Tuesday Jan. 24th)

-------------:

Hi Robert and all

Speaking in a personal capacity, I consider the CS Bureau of WSIS to have
dissolved when WSIS was concluded. (I don't know if this parallels the
Intergovernmental Bureau). This is simply due to the fact that WSIS is
concluded, and the basis for organizing ourselves has moved on to a new phase...
Am not sure now what the CS Plenary has formally decided in this regard, but I
suspect that the opportunity to formalize any decision on this has passed.

We are in a new context, and Civil Society was I recall in the midst of
rethinking all its structures and mechanisms.
Even the Internet Governance Caucus, which has the most reason to continue its
work in the context of the IGF discussions, is also rethinking its role, nature,
and function.

It would have been ideal to have had a concluding Final Assessment of the Bureau
(and of other structures), but logistical realities may prevent it.

I urge those organizations which continue to have the political access and the
economic resources, as well as the institutional interest to do so (e.g.,
CONGO?) to help organize platforms for discussion and consensus-building among
all civil society organizations in the most inclusive manner possible.

As for the Asia Pacific Caucus, we will continue to maintain our mailing list,
and until such time that a similar strategic assessment and planning process can
be held, it will function now mainly as a space for information and
communication exchange. Whether this will evolve into something else (or be
replaced by new coalitions to respond to the changed context), we will still
have to see.

Thanks

Al Alegre
previous focal point