AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] CSTD Monday session on WSIS

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Jul 17 19:48:36 BST 2006

Dear Francis,

thanks for the detailed report. It keeps all of us informed and we feel the strange astmosphere in the conference hall.

The conflict does not come as a surprise. The multistakeholder debate of WSIS never went beyond Geneva and WSIS. In NY, the Cardozo report was moved after a short discussion from the agenda. Insofar it can be seen as an achievement that ECOSOC and CSTD are discussing at length the subject.

I fully support your idea to formalize the stakeholder interaction and to amend the rules of procedure or at least to refer diplomatically to the "WSIS practicice", which in fact was in contrast to the language of Rule 55 of the WSIS Rules of Procedures, adopted during PrepCom1 in 2002 (and undermined step by step until Tunis).

I also support your idea to take the IGF (WGIG) as a model and to push for similar designs in CSTD activities. One concrete proposal could be to launch a "sub-group on multistakeholderism" which could come with some more precise ideas how the interaction among the stakeholders could be organized and formalized.  Remember that also the WGIG report did not propose any concrete mechanism for interaction among stakehooders but did define - and this can be taken as a starter - the specific "roles and responsibilities" which are complementary indeed.

Such a subgroup would have to have members from all stakeholder groups. The group could report back to the next CSTD meeting. There is no need to be in a hurry, but this is, as you have pointed out so clearly, a matter of principle.

Best wishes

wolfgang.