[WSIS CS-Plenary] Text for CSTD

Renate Bloem rbloem at ngocongo.org
Mon Jul 24 22:01:08 BST 2006

Here is language we have submitted

Best
Renate

Given that G77 had expressed a few days ago their wish to delete the various
lists of stakeholders, as included in OP 4B c) and OP 8 with the view to
have one single list of stakeholders somewhere in OP 10, I would like to
stress that we would support the following type language:

OP10d. Decides that the Commission shall ensure the most inclusive and
broad-based participation of all stakeholders, including, inter alia,
governments, international organizations, private sector, civil society,
academic and scientific communities, including existing multi-stakeholders
groups and platforms, from both developing and developed countries, and
that, in its next session, the Commission shall consider adapting its
modalities for taking into account the multi-stakeholder approach in its
work and make recommendations to the Council thereon;

We have not yet seen any language proposal circulated so far by the G77 on
this issue, but we think that our proposal could increase the qualitative
nature of the multi-stakeholder approach in the CSTD, which is still quite
scarce in spite of the provisions included in § 105 of the Tunis Agenda.

Lastly, we would like to stress that we still prefer the EU proposal
regarding the OP B b), regarding fast track accreditation process for civil
society. In particular, we consider that the phrase "upon approval by the
Council" should be deleted. In addition, we consider the rules of procedures
of the WSIS PrepCom as not very adequate, because what really allowed the
inclusiveness of this process what the practice made of these rules. We
would therefore once more support something closer to language proposed by
the EU on last Wednesday. I notably refer to the pretty limitative Rule 55
on participation of civil society
(http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/doc_single.asp?lang=en&id=14, page 20 in
the English version), which would even be a step back compared with ECOSOC
Resolution 1996/31 if too rigidly interpreted.

OP 10b. Decides also that:

a)	Pursuant to ECOSOC resolution 1996/31, non-governmental
organizations and civil society entities without consultative status to
ECOSOC, but which have received accreditation to WSIS, may participate, on
an exceptional basis and without prejudice to the established rules of the
United Nations, in the next two meetings of the Commission, in accordance
with the rules and procedures of the functional Commissions of ECOSOC and
drawing upon the practices experienced during WSIS. This provision is based
on the understanding that in the meantime, said organizations and entities
apply for consultative status to ECOSOC in accordance with existing rules
and procedures, and that in accordance with Council resolution 1996/31, the
Committee on NGO is invited to consider such applications, in accordance
with the rules and procedures of the United Nations and to do so as
expeditiously as possible.

Renate Bloem
President of the Conference of NGOs (CONGO)
11, Avenue de la Paix
CH-1202 Geneva
Tel: +41 22 301 1000
Fax: +41 22 301 2000
E-mail: rbloem at ngocongo.org
Website: www.ngocongo.org <http://www.ngocongo.org/>

The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, membership association
that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and
decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the
presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United
Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For more information see our
website at www.ngocongo.org <http://www.ngocongo.org/>