[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] Take a Stand on Internet Governance!

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Jun 14 23:06:13 BST 2006

Take a Stand on Internet Governance!
====================================

In advance of renewing the current agreement between the U.S.
Department of Commerce and ICANN, the U.S. government's National
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) has asked for
public comments about its supervision of the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

This is an important opportunity for public participation in the reform
of ICANN and Internet governance. We urge everyone to let your opinion
of how ICANN is working and how it can be improved be known. Comments
are due by July 7.

The Internet Governance Project is focusing public attention on the
Bush administration's controversial and divisive assertion of unilateral
control over the DNS root. IGP is urging Internet users everywhere to
respond to the NTIA request for comments with the following statement:

<statement>

The Internet's value is created by the participation and cooperation of
people all over the world. The Internet is global, not national.
Therefore no single Government should have a pre-eminent role in
Internet governance.

As the US reviews its contract with ICANN, it should work cooperatively
with all stakeholders to complete the transition to a Domain Name System
independent of US governmental control.

</statement>

You can transmit this statement directly to the NTIA and key
Congressional committee chairs. Just visit
http://internetgovernance.org/comment.asp

Join this global campaign today!

interface:
http://internetgovernance.org/subscribe.html