[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN CSTD 2006: proposing a new agenda item on WSIS follow-up

Sandza Laurent sandzal at yahoo.fr
Fri Mar 3 10:25:58 GMT 2006

Hello with all,

I think that it is necessary to give a little time to
the civil company of WSIS in order on the question of
the consultation of reforms.  In what relates to me, I
will like a time is little to propose an article there
above.  I am there above and I will make a report with
the network.

Best regards.

<wsis at ngocongo.org>
> [...]
> UN World Conferences
> and Summits, with the scope to: 1. enhance policy
> dialogue; 2. guarantee
> multi-stakeholder participation; 3. support the
> initiatives of international
> organisations.
>

> Further to a question from WHO on the maintained
> WSIS ES, Yoshio Utsumi said
> its role in the up-coming months would be to serve
> as a portal and a focal
> point for all WSIS related consultations and to
> perform the stocktaking
> activities.
>

> Distinction between implementation and follow up
> mechanisms
>
> Mr Yoshio Utsumi reiterated the difference between
> follow-up and
> implementation. Implementation would be facilitated
> / coordinated by UN
> Agencies (Tunis Agenda, paragraph 103) according to
> actions lines.
> Implementation would guarantee a multi-stakeholder
> approach in order to
> achieve concrete actions. Follow up of WSIS outcomes
> would be carried out by
> ECOSOC through the CSTD. He called participants to
> consider this distinction
> within their discussion for the strengthening of the
> CSTD. Chile also
> supported this view later on.
>

> Strengthening the CSTD: Actions, mandate and methods
> of work
>
> UNESCO and UNESCAP asked the CSTD for an enhanced
> collaboration with other
> UN Agencies. Such cooperation should benefit to
> developing countries.
> According to UNESCO, the main role of the Commission
> would be to assist
> ECOSOC in political follow up and to promote
> multi-stakeholder dialogue.
> UNESCO suggested that the Commission should have a
> two year oriented follow
> up action plan, the first year to review progress
> and the second one to
> organize a High Level Segment.
>

> Pakistan, Jordan and UNESCAP emphasised the
> strengthening of the CSTD needed
> to be development oriented.
>

> Renate Bloem highlighted that the mandate of the
> CSTD should be changed in
> order to include both the technical and scientific
> dimension of its initial
> role, and also take on board the social and
> political dimension from the
> WSIS process. Italy also supported that the CSTD
> should combine its old and
> its new mandate. Ayesha Hassan stressed that the
> CSTD approach should
> guarantee efficiency and non-duplication, for
> substantial progresses in the
> use of ICT for Development.
>

> Sarbuland Khan proposed that the CSTD should adopt a
> multi-year thematic
> work program in dealing with the WSIS follow-up,
> according to a set of
> themes distilling from the Geneva action lines. He
> also stressed that the UN
> Group on the Information Society, established at the
=== message truncated ===
Hello with all,

I think that it is necessary to give a little time to
the civil company of WSIS in order on the question of
the consultation of reforms.  In what relates to me, I
will like a time is little to propose an article there
above.  I am there above and I will make a report with
the network.

Best regards.

 Laurent SANDZA MISSIMBALOBA
Chargé à l'Environnement à JVFGabon
Président de l'O.N.G Environnement Sans Frontières
BP: 685 Libreville/Gabon
TEl: +241 0668 16 18/0610 12 58
Fax: +241 445 372
Site web: http://www.jvfgabon.org