[WSIS CS-Plenary] IGF ???

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Mon Mar 27 01:47:26 BST 2006

[OK, Chris Z., I know the joke, and it does
resonate, but...] this is a reasonable question.
I'm getting the sense that post-WSIS legitimacy
now is being defined by virtue of what, if
anything, specific CS groups wish to contribute
to the IGF. Joseph isn't the only one who's
wondering what's going on. Perhaps CS should look
at broadening its agenda instead of following the
governmental one? The idea that CS was not
allowed to participate fully in setting the
agenda seems to mitigate against the notion that
CS "has important, and almost equal, official
status in the IGF," the latter of which
represents a narrowing of the agenda since it's
all about 1) the internet; and 2) the governance
of the internet. I don't even know who "we" are,
let alone where "we" are.

On the constructive side, perhaps there should be
a resource center for listing post-WSIS
activities and initiatives, one that reflects the
broad issues with which the summit was originally
approached by CS actors.

Best,

Lisa

--
Lisa McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mass Communication & Women's Studies

Mass Communication
Williams Hall
Miami University-Ohio
Oxford, OH 45056