[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS follow up in May

Renate Bloem rbloem at ngocongo.org
Tue Mar 28 19:20:23 BST 2006

Dear all,

We have just brought to an end last night the UN Commission on Human Rights
(!) and will turn back to WSIS related follow up.

Please find below a scheme of related events in May which we received from
Charles Geiger. As CONGO we are still involved with ECOSOC on a fast track
modality for WSIS accredited entities to participate in the next Commission
on Science and Technology for Development (CSDT). More news soon..Please
follow also our revised website www.ngocongo.org <http://www.ngocongo.org/>

Best regards

Renata

A cluster of WSIS-related events around the Information Society Day

Confirmed meetings:

Dates

Who

What

Where

Open to whom

9-11 May

Meeting starts on 9.5. at 9.30

ITU and UNESCO

Global Symposium on Promoting the Multilingual Internet

 <http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/multilingual/>
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/multilingual/

CICG

3 full days

All stakeholders

12 May

10.00 to 13.00 and

15.00 to 18.00

UNESCO

Geneva

Action Line Facilitation meeting, C8, Cultural diversity and identity,
linguistic diversity and local content   *(website 1)

Palais des Nations, room  XX

All stakeholders

15-19 May

(usual UN timings, starting at 10.00)

UN-CSTD

UNCTAD

Annual meeting of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development

(Secretariat run by UNCTAD)
*(website 2)

Palais des Nations

Members of the Commission and observer entities in consultative status with
ECOSOC
 (TBC)

15-16 May

starting 15.5 at 9.00

ITU

TSB/SPU

Action Line Facilitation meeting, C5, Building confidence and security in
the use of ITCs

*(website 1)

ITU
Room B

All stakeholders

16 May

(time not yet fixed)

UN-CSTD

,

UNCTAD

Second Informal Inter-Agency Consultation on the Future Role of the
Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD)

in the System-wide Follow-up to WSIS

*(website 2)

Palais des Nations

All stakeholders

(TBC)

17 May

starting at 11.00

ITU

Information Society Day Ceremony

Palais des Nations or CICG

All Stake-holders (TBC) + ITU personnel

18 May

(time not yet fixed)

UN-CSDT

Panel on the Future Role of  the Commission on Science and Technology for
Development (CSTD)

in the system-wide Follow-up to WSIS

(TBC)

*(website 2)

Palais des Nations

All stakeholders

Comment : The informal meeting scheduled 16.5 may superseed this panel

19 May

(time not yet fixed)

IGF

Second round of informal consultations on the setting up of the IGF

http://www.intgovforum.org/

Palais des Nations

All Stakeholders

22-23 May

(time not yet fixed)

IGF

First meeting of the

IGF Advisory Group

http://www.intgovforum.org/

Palais des Nations

Members of the Advisory Group

(TBC)

B. Possible other meetings that may be announced later:

Date and time open

ITU

ITU

Action Line Facilitation meeting on Action line C2

ITU

All stakeholders

Dates and times open

UN-DESA

3 Action Line Facilitation meetings, on Action Lines C1, C7 e-government,
C11

Palais des Nations

(TBC)

All stakeholders

Date and time open

CONGO

Civil Society Information Meeting + possibly daily coordination meetings

Palais des Nations or ITU

All stakeholders from NGOs and civil society entities

Date and time open

ICC/CCBI

Business sector coordination meeting(s)

Palais des Nations or ITU

All stakeholders from business entities

*Websites:

Website 1   http://www.itu.int/wsis/implementation/index.html

Website 2   http://stdev.unctad.org/unsystem/cstd/9session.html

Renate Bloem
President of the Conference of NGOs (CONGO)
11, Avenue de la Paix
CH-1202 Geneva
Tel: +41 22 301 1000
Fax: +41 22 301 2000
E-mail:  <mailto:rbloem at ngocongo.org> rbloem at ngocongo.org
Website:  <http://www.ngocongo.org/> www.ngocongo.org

The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, membership association
that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and
decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the
presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United
Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For more information see our
website at www.ngocongo.org <http://www.ngocongo.org/>