[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] MAG dictates rules and agenda for IGF?

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue May 30 09:52:48 BST 2006

On 29 maj 2006, at 17.54, Carlos Afonso wrote:

> The MAG, an ad hoc creation of the UN Secretary General which is
> not part of the WSIS decisions, was supposed to help the
> secretariat regarding IGF procedures, selection process to ensure
> pluralism and transparency, methodology -- not predetermine content
> or agenda! This should be the task of the first IGF meeting itself
> -- and the IGF should  have final say on procedures as well.

In terms of norms, i don't see the MAG deining norms.

In terms of agenda, while the MAG is recommending a thematic agenda
for the Athens meeting, this does nothing to determine the agenda for
future meeting.  Additionally in terms of workshops, I believe there
will be ample opportunity for workshops on lots of themes.

from: http://www.intgovforum.org/athens_outline.htm (esp Para 2)

>> Workshops
>>
>> Workshops will focus on the specific issues relevant to the Athens
>> meeting themes as well as on other topic of relevance to Internet
>> Governance. Workshops dealing with topics being dealt with in the
>> main meeting will not be scheduled at the same time as the main
>> meeting. The staggered schedule should allow those who are
>> interested in the subject to attend both the general meeting and
>> workshops on the same topic.
>>
>> Any subject on Internet governance can be scheduled for a
>> workshop.  While many workshops will be oriented within the
>> specific daily themes, a number of workshops slots each day will
>> be made available to deal with important topics that do not fit
>> easily within the five main themes of the conference but which are
>> nonetheless of importance to many of the stakeholders.  All
>> workshops will be audiocast.
>>
>> Workshops will be structured to be interactive allowing for open
>> discussion.

a.