[WSIS CS-Plenary] CSTD Panel - 6-8 November 2006

CONGO - Philippe Dam wsis at ngocongo.org
Wed Nov 1 18:40:55 GMT 2006

Dear all,

Further to the previous e-mails sent in this regard, this is to remind you
of the meeting of the CSTD Intersession Panel on 6 - 8 November 2006 at the
UNESCO Headquarters in Paris.

The theme of the up coming panel is "Promoting the building of a
people-centred, development-oriented and inclusive information society, with
a view to enhancing digital opportunities for all people".

Web page: http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Meeting.asp?intItemID=2068
<http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Meeting.asp?intItemID=2068&lang=1&m=12233&y
ear=2006&month=11> &lang=1&m=12233&year=2006&month=11

Representatives of NGOs having ECOSOC status can participate.

The Resolution
<http://www.ngocongo.org/files/wsis_resolution_final_27jul2006.doc>
reviewing the mandate and composition of the CTSD provides that ECOSOC must
approve the list of WSIS accredited NGOs before these NGOs can participate
in the next two sessions of the CSTD.

In spite of the theme of this panel and of the provisions of that
resolution, the CSTD Secretariat explained to us some days ago that since
ECOSOC has not yet approved the list of WSIS accredited NGOs (actually the
list of WSIS accredited NGOs has even not yet been transmitted to ECOSOC),
it will not be possible at this stage for NGOs without the ECOSOC status to
participate in this Panel. Despite the discussions we had with the
Secretariat and the exchanges with the CSTD Bureau members (just before the
IGF) to find ad hoc arrangements for participation of WSIS accredited NGOs,
we finally heard today that such arrangements would not be possible.

Nevertheless, we recommend WSIS accredited NGO representatives, expert on
the theme of the Panel and interested to participate in this panel, to send
an invitation request to the CSTD Secretariat to participate as an expert in
this Panel and contribute to the discussion periods of the Panel (see
contact information on the UNCTAD website). We have very much pushed that
other WSIS accredited CSOs be invited as experts to join this intersession
Panel.

Renate was invited a few days ago to address the CSTD. She will pronounce a
policy statement related to NGO participation in the future CSTD. She will
raise among other the concerns included in this mail. Feel free to send us
any further comment.

We were also informed by the Secretariat that Mr. Parminder Jeet Singh is
also invited to speak in the Panel on the substantial theme.

Best regards,

Philippe Dam
11, Avenue de la Paix
CH-1202 Geneva
Tel: +41 22 301 1000
Fax: +41 22 301 2000
E-mail:  <mailto:wsis at ngocongo.org> wsis at ngocongo.org
Website:  <blocked::http://www.ngocongo.org> www.ngocongo.org

The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, membership association
that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and
decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the
presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United
Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For more information see our
website at www.ngocongo.org <blocked::http://www.ngocongo.org/>