[WSIS CS-Plenary] Youth and Internet Governance eConsultation - Join Us

robert sagun robsagun1 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 10:48:16 GMT 2006

Dear All,

Please distribute as widely as possibly to your networks and beyond.

What is Internet Governance? And why should Youth care?

>From November 26th to December 16th, join us as we demystify the terms of Internet governance, decode acronyms like IGF, and discuss a proposal for meaningful participation of young people in the next IGF meeting in Rio de Janeiro in November 2007.

Background
Young people were active contributors to the two phases of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) process - raising awareness of important issues; mobilizing at the national, regional and international levels to provide policy input; and creating networks to support local Information and Communications Technology (ICT) projects.
The WSIS process gave birth to a multitude of action lines, one of which is the Internet Governance Forum. In particular, the Tunis Agenda for the Information Society invited the Secretary-General to convene a new forum for multi-stakeholder policy dialogue (Para 67). The Internet Governance Forum (www.intgovforum.org ) was convened October 30th - November 2nd in an open and inclusive process as indicated in Para72 of the Tunis Agenda.
Why?

1. To build on the past activities of the World Summit on the Information Society youth caucus while empowering a new generation of young leaders interested in follow-up activities around the Internet Governance Forum
2. To provide an opportunity to learn more about Internet governance in an informal, online environment.
3. To identify areas of interest and importance to young people within the context of Internet governance
4. To help plan for youth leadership at the Internet Governance Forum 2007

When?
>From November 26th to December 16th 2006 a three-week moderated discussion will take place.

What?

Week 1: Demystifying Internet Governance
Week 2: Decoding the Internet Governance Forum
Week 3: Progressive Involvement: Youth (at) Rio - IGF 2007

There will be a moderator for each week to help guide and shape discussions including an overall expert who is a respected voice in the realm of Internet Governance.

Who?

§ Young people passionate about the potential of Internet technologies who want to get involved in a global debate about its governance;
§ Youth working in the area of the Information Society/ICT4D
§ Youth-oriented organizations
§ Networks/Community of Practice on IG
§ Youth issue supporters
§ You!

Where?
To subscribe, please send a blank email to YouthandIG-subscribe (at) groups.takingitglobal.org For enquiries, please email titi (at) mindset.co.za

  Thank you and we look forward to your active participation.