[WSIS CS-Plenary] Canadian Community Access Program back from premature death?

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Wed Oct 4 07:14:09 BST 2006

There seems to be a bit of confusion, but it looks now that the Canadian
Government has, as a result of popular pressure (thanks all who sent the
Minister emails! and to those local Members of Parliament who recognized
the value of the program and insisted on its retention) reversed the
decision to end funding of the Canadian Community Access Program.

(As a side note, the cuts were part of a general "political
housecleaning" by the new Conservative government of a range of
community focussed programs developed under the previous Liberal
governments.  They were not budgetary as the Canadian government at the
same time it was announcing the cuts also announced a budget for last
year of $13 Billion which they were intending to apply to pay down the
Canadian national debt.)

The article pointed to below mentions the possibility of a longer-term
program. This is an excellent development as CAP has been operating on
short term extensions for several years and it also opens the
possibility of revision to the program (hopefully with some involvement
from those with direct knowledge and experience of the CAP on the
ground).

Among the areas to be hoped for in a revised program would be
integration with the currently parallel Federal initiatives in the
extension of broadband connectivity to rural and remote areas, much
closer linkages with programs providing support for effective use of
CAP's by local residents as for example the CAP Youth Intern program,
and the overall integration of the variety of community based technology
and local development programs.

One of the conclusions that seems to be emerging out of the 3 year
Canadian Research Alliance for Community Innovation and Networking
(www.cracin.ca) research project in Community Informatics
implementations in Canada is the need for some type of institutional
integration within government to include the variety of agencies and
programs involved in community ICT initiatives as for example through a
Department of the Information Society or Department for ICTs as several
other countries have instituted.

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
CRACIN Co-Principal Investigator
Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and Training
Vancouver, BC
http://www.communityinformatics.net

http://www.gov.pe.ca/index.php3?number=news&lang=E&newsnumber=4828

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Randy Stoecker

Associate Professor

e-mail:  rstoecker at wisc.edu

Center for Community and Economic Development
610 Langdon Street
3rd Floor
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 265 - 8256