[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: REPONSE RELATIVE A NOTRE OPEN LETTER

NURSES ACROSS THE BORDERS nursesacrosstheborders at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 23 15:43:32 BST 2006

Dear NANA,
My organization and very good self may not be too
enthused with the response of the IGF Secretariat to
the OPEN LETTER as stated above for very obvious
reason.
While it is absolutely necessary for Financial Support
for the participation of members from the Third World
Countries, this should not be at the expense of a more
fundamental issue- which is equality of access.
The continous dependence of the so called THIRD WORLD
On funding from international donors have made us
subservient to other countries so called DEVELOPED.
HOW for instance can you justify the conditions for
participants to make down payments for hotel
reservations via credit cards and charges started
running from SEPTEMBER 20TH for any failure to attend.
Participants from EUROPE, USA, ASIA AND PROBABLY THE
MIDDLE EAST MAY NOT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH VISA
PROCESSES-save AFRICAN PARTICIPANTS.
So, where an African delegate fails to get an entry
visa to Greece he or she forfeits the hotel deposits.
WHEN SOUTH AFRICA hosted the WSSD in 2002, and TUNIS
WSIS in 2005, there was no restriction to participants
from our so called developed world.
ANOTHER worry was the discovery that the IGF
SECRETARIAT was bereft of the autonmy and independence
to ACCREDIT PARTICIPANTS WIHOUT RECOURSE TO THE GREEK
AUTHORITY. This is qite contrary to the spirit of the
UNITED NATIONS. Mr. Kummer and his team will attest to
the collosal amount of money we spent in calling
Geneva over this issue from Nigeria.
But because of the deliberate attempt to DENY some
participants from attending the IGF in greece,my
organization has withdrawn our involvement and
participation in the IGF EVENT IN ATHENS, even though
I HAVE MY VISA TO BE IN GREECE, as WE HAVE JUST LEFT
PARIS after attending the WSIS ACTIONS LINE IN UNESCO
Office in paris.
TO Sister NANA and the EXCO of ACSIS, till we learn to
respect opposing views and opinions, the ACSIS will
continue to be regarded by some of us as a CULT.
When NNENA SENT OUT the draft of the OPEN LETTER in as
much as I endorsed the spirit of the letter I drew
attention to this salient point and all I got was a
reprimand that IF I NEEDED HELP FOR MY VISA I SHOULD
ASK.
My organization believes in collaboration and unity of
purpose but it should be based on mutual respect.
On the level of my NGO and as bonafide members of NGO
ON SPECIAL CONSULTATIVE STATUS WITH ECOSOC, and other
bodies within the UN, we shall direct our protest
appropriately to the SG.
AND for the NIGERIAN CHAPTER of the WSIS/ACSIS, that I
coordinate we shall make a formal position known on
this.
In the interim for those travelling to ATHENS BON
VOYAGE.
Yours in Protest,
Pastor Peters OMORAGBON
EXECUTIVE PRESIDENT/CEO
COORDINATOR-WSIS/ACSIS-Nigerian Chapter

--- NANA Delphine <delynana2002 at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Click http://wsis.funderes.org/acsis/  to access
> automatic translation of this message
>
>   Chers Tous,
>
>   Suite à notre Lettre Ouverte adressée  à Monsieur
> Markus KUMMER, Coordonnateur Exécutif du Secrétariat
> du Forum sur la Gouvernance de l'Internet,  relative
>  à la participation des organisations de la Société
> Civile africaine, au processus du IGF,
>   Je vous prie de trouver ci-dessous, la reponse
> qu'il a bien voulu nous donner.
>
>   Delphine NANA MEKOUNTE
>   Présidente de ACSIS
>

>   Dear Ms Nana Mekounte,
>
> I would like to thank you for your letter of support
> and for drawing my
> attention to the difficulties encountered by Civil
> Society Organizations (CSO’s)from developing
> countries, and in particular the Least Developed
> Countries(LDCs), to participate actively in the
> preparatory process for the IGF and the inaugural
> meeting of the IGF itself. By and large. I share
> your concerns and it is one of the stated aims of
> the IGF Secretariat to facilitate attendance of
> stakeholders from developing countries.
>
> As you may be aware of, the IGF is not part of the
> regular United Nations
> activities. It therefore depends on voluntary
> funding.  As time was short for preparing the first
> IGF meeting we have not been able to generate
> sufficient resources to fund developing country
> participation.
>
> It is our hope that a successful first meeting of
> the IGF will also generate
> interest among potential donors. As you rightly
> point out, the overall theme of the Athens meeting
> is 'Internet Governance for Development'. Funding to
> assist participants from developing countries is
> part of this theme.
>
> I agree with you in so far that virtual
> participation can never replace the
> physical presence at a meeting. Nevertheless, we
> will try to maximize our resources and make best
> possible use of virtual participation technologies
> to be as inclusive as possible. While virtual
> participation is not a solution, it is aviable 'next
> best'.
>
> With your agreement, we would like to post your
> letter on our Web site. The concerns you express in
> your letter are important and deserve being brought
> to the attention of the visitors of our Web site.
>
> Best regards
>
> Markus Kummer
> Executive Coordinator
> Secretariat of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)

> ---------------------------------
> Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses
> à toutes vos questions ! Demandez à ceux qui savent
> sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses.

   Pastor Peters OMORAGBON
Executive President/CEO
Nurses Across the Borders Humanitarian Initiative-Inc.-(Nigeria & U.S.A)
An NGO On Special Consultative Status with The Economic and Social Council of the United Nations-(ECOSOC)
Member(OBSERVER),United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
295, IKORODU ROAD, IDIROKO BUS STOP MARYLAND IKEJA LAGOS NIGERIA
350, MAIN STREET, EAST ORANGE NEW JERSEY 07018 U.S.A
Tel:+234-1-812-8649, +234-1-818-6494,+234-802-308-5408(Mobile)
FAX:+234-1-493-7203
Email:nursesacrosstheborders at yahoo.com