[WSIS CS-Plenary] spec rapp on freedom of expression

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Oct 25 14:59:48 BST 2006

Rikke:
Thanks for sending this. Most of the message was quite good. Here,
however, I see a very mixed message:

>>> rfj at humanrights.dk 10/25/2006 7:15 AM >>>
>In Denmark, Press and Media enjoy an extended editorial freedom
>and play a pivotal role in providing an arena for debate thus
>promoting the free exchange of opinions and ideas.  However, the
>use of stereotypes, libeling and insulting ethnic, social and
religious
> groups do not help in support of the relentless efforts to
consolidate
>an open and multicultural society.   Polarization of opinions, often
>based on distorted arguments and narrow-mindedness, can
>endanger constructive and peaceful dialogue among different
>communities thus causing disharmony and friction in delicate social
>and cultural balances.

Truly free expression inevitably means that someone, somewhere will use
what others consider to be stereotypes or derogatory statements about
various ethnic, social and religious groups. Efforts to promote greater
sensitivity and awareness via persuasion are to be applauded. However,
we have learned the hard way that efforts to control speech or regulate
content in order to prevent "polarization of opinion" or
"narrow-mindedness" act to suppress dialogue, chill free expression and
often have the unintended effect of hardening the boundaries between the
affected groups.

To me, it seems impossible to claim to be in favor of free expression
while at the same time attempting to regulate the way various groups in
society talk about each other. Ligabo's speech, while admirable in most
respects, seems to offer a decidedly mixed message on that point. The
problem is, as society becomes increasingly multicultural and connected,
these issues become more important, more central. So far from offering a
small and narrow "exception" to or moderation of free expression, he may
be striking at its core.

This is a highly sensitive issue in the U.S. particularly on college
campuses where a great deal of political speech is suppressed on such
grounds. Particularly with respect to political humor.