[WSIS CS-Plenary] ECOSOC Resolution

Bill McIver Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Aug 9 14:30:07 BST 2007

Phillippe / Ronda,

I concur with Ronda.

I have been following this thread, but I think many of
us on behalf of our organizations would benefit from a summary -- most
especially divergent views --
on the post-WSIS state of affairs.

There may be analyzes already available. If so, perhaps someone
can post pointers.

Best,

WJM

Ronda Hauben wrote:
> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of this message!
>
> Do you know what it represents.
>
> I am trying to understand what has happened to the impetus from the
> WSIS UN activities at the UN and it seems spread out at this point and
> hard to follow.
>
> Does this say that The Commission on Science and Technology will be
> surveying what the outcome of WSIS summits were and what activity is
> going now in connection with the UN, especially with respect to
> development related activities?
>
> If this seems an appropriate interpretation, is there any indication
> when or how this is to happen?
>
> I welcome anyone who can help interpret what is going on or who would
> be able to be helpful in understanding further what is being intended.
>
> I would like to write an article for OhmyNews International at some
> point about the outcome of the WSIS conference in Tunis (and earlier
> Geneva) as I covered Tunis for OhmyNews. But it is hard to understand
> where to begin and how to understand what is signficiant that is
> happening and what is the frustration with the fact that the WSIS
> seemed to have been an important development, but the continuation
> seemed less organized and clear.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ronda
>

> On 8/3/07, *CONGO WSIS - Philippe Dam* <wsis at ngocongo.org
> <mailto:wsis at ngocongo.org>> wrote:
>
>     [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the
>     entire list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses
>     intended for specific people]
>
>     Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic
>     translation of this message!
>     _______________________________________
>

>     For your information, find attached the ECOSOC resolution on
>     integrated and coordinated implementation of UN conferences and
>     summits (E/2007/L.32), adopted on 27 July. Its paragraph 4 refers
>     to the role of the CSTD in the WSIS follow up. Paragraph 4 reads
>     as follows:
>

>     "4. Acknowledges the efforts of the Commission on Science and
>     Technology
>
>     for Development, in accordance with General Assembly resolutions
>     57/270 B and
>
>     60/252 and Council resolution 2006/46, to effectively assist the
>     Council as the focal
>
>     point in the system-wide follow-up, in particular the review and
>     assessment of
>
>     progress made in implementing the outcomes of the World Summit on the
>
>     Information Society, while at the same time maintaining its
>     original mandate on
>
>     science and technology for development, also taking into account
>     the provisions of
>
>     paragraph 60 of the 2005 World Summit Outcome, and also
>     acknowledges the

> [...]

William McIver, Jr, PhD (Bill)
Research Officer, People-Centred Technologies
National Research Council Canada -- Institute for Information Technology
E-mail: Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca