[WSIS CS-Plenary] Campaign on to Waive the Radio/TV Using License Fees in Bangladesh

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 12:21:01 GMT 2007

Without commenting or getting directly involved on the present situation, as
I am not informed enough to do so, I too am of the opinion that licence fees
should be scrapped, as these pose an unnecessary burden on the
underprivileged, who often cannot afford private radio and television
services and should therefore not have to pay for what is supposedly "public
service" broadcasting.

 And before anybody points out that public service broadcasters need to
charge licence fees to be able to maintain the service, let's for this
argument's sake assume that they are sufficiently funded from public funds
and from commercial advertisers. Let us also bear in mind that it is a trend
that public broadcasters are bloated bureaucratic apparatuses with
disproportionately high salaries and perks for the top echelons of the
machinery.

 Could those more versed on the matter enumerate the exact sections of
international instruments that could strengthen the hand of those fighting
for the abolition of licence fees?

The right to information in itself, should do, but looks a bit naked and
malnourished. Instruments with bearing on information are not the only ones
with reference here: information is crucial for development/ health/
education etc.

I am sure there is enough to be written into a Free Broadcasting Reception
Charter.

Best regards,

Rui

On 24/02/07, BNNRC <ceo at bnnrc.net> wrote:

> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list.
> Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific people]
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of
> this message! _______________________________________
>
> *Bangladesh NGOs Network for
> Radio and Communication
> *Promoting Communication Technology for a Fairer World
> *----------------------------------------------
>

> *
> Campaign on to Waive the Radio/TV
> Using License Fees in Bangladesh
>  *
> *Campaign Summery:
> A rumor was spread over the country that the Joint forces have been
> examining the license of radio and television after formation of the new
> Care taker Government and declaration of Emergency Power Rule.  Whether the
> people could not show the license, the forces are taking the radio and
> televisions forcefully or breaking those.
>
> There were several news on this published in the National dailies and
> broadcasted over the channels. BNNRC has been making dialogues with the
> government since a long time to waive the fees of license of Radio and TV.
>
> *Objectives:
> *
> - To leave the license fees of radio and TV using in the changing
> situation.
> - To formulate a convergence policy regarding the use of information &
> communication technology (ICT), telecommunication, Broadband, Cable TV
> including radio and television and also
> - To establish people's rights in mass media.
>
> *The Story:
> * At present, a citizen of Bangladesh has to pay Taka. 450 ($ 6.7) and
> Taka. 20 per year for using TV and Radio respectively. Besides, it was not
> clear to the concern departments of Government, users or to civil society
> what the Government wants through different circulations, which were
> circulated in time to time. Some of them said that those who make license
> since 2000, they do not need to pay. Another parts said that those who paid
> license fee during buying TV/Radio, they also not to need to do license.
> Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC) talked to many
> officers of many departments but did not get any clear guideline over this.
> So, the rumor spread over the country.
>
> *In this context, a young pro-people journalist Mr. Shawkat Milton, Staff
> Reporter of ATN - Bangla* requested Mr. AHM Bazlur Rahman, of BNNRC to
> give an expert opinion on this regard for ATN Bangla prime news.AHM Bazlur
> Rahman commented:
>
> 1.According to the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1933 and 1970 the Government
> is now collecting Radio/TV using fees.
>
> 2.But when the government took that decision, then there was no other
> media except Government own Radio and TV.
>
> 3.Due to globalisation, there are many commercial and community based
> [...]

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa