[WSIS CS-Plenary] ECOSOC reviewing WSIS follow up and implementation: CSTD, UNGIS, ALF, IGF, GAID

Ronda Hauben ronda.netizen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:40:39 BST 2007

What is the focus of GAID? Is this understood? Is it alliance with the
business sector? I had the impression that there was the sense dominant in
the GAID that one had to depend on an alliance with business in order to
develop the infrastructure for the Internet and spread it around the world.

Is this a significant focus of GAID?

I had been trying to understand what was the follow up at the UN of what
happened in Tunis in 2005 and the best I could determine was that it was
GAID. When I tried to understand the focus of GAID it seemed that its
emphasis was a focus on business as needed to invest in infrastructure.

I don't know, however, what others have found who have tried to understand
what is being done in GAID.

Is it that the goal of spreading the Internet around the world at the UN has
been narrowed down to an emphasis on business investing in infrastructure
and setting regulations that will encourage this?

The experience in the US is that putting the leadership of the spread of the
Net in the hands of business has led to the US falling behind a number of
other countries with regard to what percentage of the population has
affordable access to broadband.

So it would be helpful to understand what is happening at the UN with regard
to the followup and furthering of the desire to have affordable (low cost)
broadband access spread to all around the world, the vision that helped as a
thrust for WSIS and Tunis.
Is there a broader agenda than I have referred to? Elsewhere I have gotten
the impression that supporting the spread of the Internet and the use the
Internet should be part of the UN's development agenda, but I haven't seen
much sign of how this is being implemented.

Ronda

ronda.netizen at gmail.com

--
Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook