[WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: NoOOXML campaign - invitation

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 13:24:15 BST 2007

Aplogies for crossposting...

 The  campaign  to stop Microsoft getting the Office format approved by ISO is on. MS's  OOXML has been proved to be long, incomplete, patented,and unsuitable  as an ISO standard. There is also an existing standard, ODF, as you  know.

 The FFII has been fighting OOXML in Europe and Latin  America, and FTISA has beat it in South Africa. Together with these  guys, we should be able to kick OOXML out of the rest of Africa. There  are ISO votes in Ghana, Nigeria, Cote-d'Ivoire, Botswana, Ethiopia,  Tanzania, Kenya, and Congo. Microsoft have, I heard, gone to Nairobi in  force to try to force the vote there.

  What we need to do is work with the ISO national boards to understand
  that OOXML is really broken, and we then need to make sure those
  boards can't be stuffed with Microsoft puppets, as happened in the US,
  Italy, Azerbaijan, Romania, and elsewhere.  We just want national
  boards to vote "NO" until all the technical problems in the format are fixed.

  The FFII has collected information on this campaign,
  see www.noooxml.org.

  But to start with, I'd like to invite you to join this mailing list:

  Thanks,

  - Pieter
  ph at imatix.com