[WSIS CS-Plenary] [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert - IGP Paper Released on DNSSEC and Securing the Root

Brenden Kuerbis bnkuerbi at SYR.EDU
Fri May 18 11:52:44 BST 2007

IGP has published a plan to decentralize authority over the Internet
domain name system (DNS) as it transitions to a new, more secure
technology known as DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC). View the paper
here <http://internetgovernance.org/pdf/SecuringTheRoot.pdf>

At a symposium in Washington DC on Thursday, May 17, the Internet
Governance Project (IGP) unveiled the plan which decentralizes control
over the process of digitally signing the root zone file using public
key encryption. The need for the plan was made clear recently when news
of a U.S. Department of Homeland Security report on DNSSEC
implementation triggered international controversy by raising fears that
the US government planned to control the "master keys" to the Internet.
The IGP proposal would distribute control over the process of signing
the root zone file to multiple organizations, all of them
nongovernmental in nature, defusing fears that U.S. national security
agencies will control the Internet's DNS root zone keys.

According to IGP spokesperson Brenden Kuerbis, the proposal "increases
the resilience of the system, eliminates the threat of political
interference in Internet administration, and diffuses liability among
the entities involved."

DNSSEC is a proposed Internet standard that modifies DNS resource
records and protocols to provide security for query and response
transactions made between domain name resolvers and nameservers.

The international meeting in Washington, "Internet Governance and
Security: Exploring Global and National Solutions," was jointly hosted
by Syracuse University's School of Information Studies, the George Mason
University Law School's Critical Infrastructure Protection Program, and
the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology at Lausanne's Executive
Master's Program in e-Governance. The event brought together legal
and policy experts in Internet governance, representatives of the IETF,
ICANN, DHS, the U.S. Commerce Department, the Internet Systems
Consortium, and students from the e-Governance program.