[WSIS CS-Plenary] CSTD Up date - 3

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Thu May 24 13:52:20 BST 2007

Hello

To complete this report, it is fair
to report the very vibrant speech
  by Bertrand, on behalf of France, saying
that he was "ashamed" ( repeated twice )
about official CSTD procedures, that he was suggesting
to follow a full multi-stakeholder apporoach.
Only China intervened observing only that the duration of each
speech must be limited.
So this was adopted by the chair.

This adds to the breakthrough realized yesterday
for the CS participation to the CSTD bureau,
for which CONGO must be  warmly congratulated.

In comparison to what I experienced before at the
CSTD, this is an incredible change

Best

Francis

> Dear all,
>

> This morning session ended without any strong substantial discussion.
> Two draft resolutions were officially circulated to the CTSD
> participants. The first one emanating from the CSTD Bureau (on
> multi-year program of work and working methods) and a second one by El
> Salvador on behalf on GRULAC, entitle “flow of information for the
> follow-up to WSIS”, which includes a paragraph in reference to enhanced
> cooperation.
>

> Most of the morning discussion actually focused on the format of the
> CSTD outcome (be it through a resolution or through a more informal set
> of “agreed conclusions” which might prevent from any in depth
> negotiation process). As regards the process from now, the Chairman of
> this morning’s CSTD has proposed to have a drafting group with the view
> to try to merge the two tabled resolutions. Other delegations stressed
> the need for an open ended discussion on what the CSTD wants to decide,
> before going on into any kind of drafting process.
>

> A CSTD Bureau meeting will be held during lunch break in order to decide
> the way ahead, but one possible outcome would be to still have
> multi-stakeholder interactive discussions on the content of the
> decisions to be taken.
>

> Quite interestingly, 2 NGOs could speak during this morning’s segment,
> just by raising their NGO tag, and provided comments on the working
> methods and the WSIS follow-up by CSTD. At the request for clarification
> in this regard from China, the UN Legal Officer stressed the
> multi-stakeholder approach encouraged by ECOSOC for the work of the
> CTSTD plenary meetings.
>

> *The afternoon CSTD meeting will resume at 3.30 pm*. We will keep you
> updated.
>
> Best,
>

> Ph

  Francis F. Muguet  Ph.D
  MDPI  Open Access Journals -  Associate Publisher
  http://www.mdpi.org  muguet at mdpi.net

  Knowledge Networks & Information Society Lab. (KNIS)
  http://www.knis.org  http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet
  E.N.S.T.A  32 Boulevard Victor  muguet at ensta.fr
  75739 PARIS CEDEX FRANCE
  (33) 01.45.52.60.19 -- Fax: (33) 01.45.52.52.82

  WSIS  World Summit on the Information Society
  Chair Scientific Information WG http://www.wsis-si.org
  Co-chair Patents & Copyrights WG htt://www.wsis-pct.org

  Multi-Stakeholders UN agency proposal  http://www.unmsp.org

  WTIS World Tour of the Information Society
  http://www.wtis.org  muguet at wtis;org