[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [CS Bureau] civil society co-ordination

CONGO WSIS - Philippe Dam wsis at ngocongo.org
Mon Oct 22 17:49:59 BST 2007

I allow myself to reply also to this message with CC to the CS Plenary list,
since it’s fully appropriate to have this discussion within a wider group of
CS partners.

Thanks Tracey for your message, to which I fully agree.

The issue of CS coordination and collective has already been raised a couple
of times on those various lists, but we did not come up with consolidated
solutions. We now have a clearer view of what will the post WSIS
architecture look like: the CSTD has almost finalised its institution
building process; a number of Action Line facilitation processes started to
deliver; and the GAID has now entered into a quite regular cycle of work.

CONGO has been doing some of the work (information sharing, early warning,
proposing statements, addressing UN Secretariat, encouraging joint
statements, liaising with international organisations
), but much more could
have been achieved if we would have been better organised in all areas, in
particular when it comes to more substantial issues.

The discussion so far has been blocked on the issue of Bureau or not Bureau.
We should go beyond and see which format would be more appropriate for a CS
structure in the post WSIS framework. In last May 2007, it has been proposed
that a more functional structure be established: One (or more) focal points
for each WSIS Action Line could help disseminating information, reporting,
following up and mobilizing actors working on this field. It would help
being more effective in the very decentralised implementation process by
action line, and at the end of the day, contribute to building more
coherence and better impact in the whole post-Tunis architecture
(implementation + follow up, but also GAID (through a GAID CS Network?) and,
to some extend, the IGF).

In any event, considering this working frame should be our priority in the
up coming weeks. Our discussions in this regard in May 2007 were not really
successful.

Looking forward to reading you on this issue,

All the best,

Ph

Philippe Dam
11, Avenue de la Paix