[WSIS CS-Plenary] Action Line Facilitation Meetings of WSIS, Geneva, 22 May 2008 (UN-DESA)

malik khan motamar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 10:48:37 BST 2008

Dear All
 I will send you all GAID meeting in UN

VISIT OF POPE BENEDICT XVI TO THE UNITED NATIONS
By Dr Malik Khan

            Through the good offices of the United Nations Resource Center,
Catholic News Bureau Chief Stephanie requested me to express my opinion
regarding the significance of the visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the United
States.  I, secretary General Dr. Malik Khan, make the following press
release on behalf of the following organizations and their Presidents.
World Council of Muslim Communities (a UN-affiliated organization)
H.E. Dr Abdullah bin Omar Nasseef - World Muslim Congress
H.E. Dr Abdulla Al-Mohsin Al-Turky - Muslim World League
H.E .Dr Adnan Khalil Basha - International Islamic Relief Organization of Saudi
Arabia

H.E. Dr. Abdullah bin Omar Nasseef - International Council of Da`wah and
Irshad
H.E. Raja Zafarul Haq - World Muslim Congress
and the world's Islamic peace movements, Grand Muftis, Islamic eminent
scholars, teachers,  imams. and all others.

PRESS RELEASE

            Muslims believe in the sanctity of all the Holy Scriptures and
all the prophets.  Islam is the religion of peace and requires believers to
live in harmony with outsiders.  It preaches to "live and let live" and not
to impose its ideology on others.  The Holy Quran and other scriptures
preach not to commit any vices and to live by the book.
            The historical visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the United States
is a dynamic one that can produce a positive image for the Catholic Church.
He can create a fateful environment of peace at the United Nations,
enhancing its capacities for the solution of critical world problems.  The
Pope has counseled his own community to establish a meaningful life.  We
Muslims support him to act according to the Scripture.   We have supported
the position of the Catholic Church in the past on such issues as divorce,
family planning, abortion, cloning, homosexuality, drug abuse, HIV/AIDS,
famine, environment, and global peace.  We will continue to provide this
support. The President of World Council of Muslim Communities, Dr. Abdullah
bin Omar Nasseef, has been taking celebrated delegations every year to the
Vatican and has been conducting dialogues to build bridges of understanding
and establish cordial relations for worthy causes on behalf of humanity.  We
will continue to work for the benefit of all as revealed by the Almighty.
                        As distortions of the religions, spreading non-truth
and promotion of vice have created chaos in the world, it is expected that
the Catholic Church shall make due determinations to stem them.  We
therefore would like to take this opportunity to bring to the attention of
the leader of the Church to prompt the people of goodwill to consciously
move forward in the service of mankind in the pertinent disciplines.
            Amongst other things, workable programs should be instituted in
such areas as eradication of poverty and hunger, protection of the
environment and ecology, uplifting of science and technology, advancement of
finance and economics, and promotion of education and knowledge.  Bounties
of nature, therefore, ought to be equitably distributed amongst all the
nations.
            The Pope's visit to the UN is significant for the Catholic
Church to address various questions.  Therefore, his role in solving these
world problems is vital.  In this, we will continue to cooperate with him
and with the Church to usher in a better future for Planet Earth and
mankind.  In essence, they ought to aggressively promote the Millennium
Development Goals.  But there are problems beyond these which have to be
addressed.  Misinformation on all counts (e.g., industrial innovations,
consumers' market, genetics, drugs) is promoting disorder and
disillusionment on a gigantic scale.
            One-third of children in broken and single-parent houses are
pushed to war, and then on their return, they commit suicide.  The health
care system is geared not to the poor, but to the rich.  Poverty eradication
requires education, new syllabus, technology geared for better agricultural
production, technology geared to give correct information, and
pharmaceuticals geared to cheaper treatments.  Every day 35,000 people are
dying at the hands of AIDS, which should be adequately controlled.
            The double-headed monster of cloning is on its way to the
market, which will destroy marriages, promote unwanted children, and instill
chaos, violence, fights, lawsuits, and further spread of diseases of untold
dimension.
            Numerous altruistic projects to correct the prevailing
difficulties in socio-cultural, financio-economic, religio-spiritual,
eco-environmental, and various other fields could be hoisted to protect
human well-being.

ISLAM AND THE ENVIRONMENT
By Dr Malik khan
worlddialogue at yahoo.com<http://us.mc457.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=worlddialogue@yahoo.com>

I, Secretary-General Dr. Malik Khan, make the following press release on
behalf of the following  organizations and their Presidents joins me in this
communiqué individual and collectively.
World Council of Muslim Communities (a UN-affiliated organization)
H.E. Dr Abdullah bin Omar Nasseef - World Muslim Congress
H.E. Dr Abdulla Al-Mohsin Al-Turky - Muslim World League
H.E .Dr Adnan Khalil Basha - International Islamic Relief Organization of Saudi
Arabia

H.E. Dr. Abdullah bin Omar Nasseef - International Council of Da`wah and
Irshad
H.E. Raja Zafarul Haq - World Muslim Congress
and the world's Islamic peace movements, Grand Muftis, Islamic eminent
scholars, teachers,  imams. and all others.

The Interfaith Partnership for Environment, the United Nations Environment
Program (UNEP) monitors the interrelated elements of the Earth agenda:
water, land, health, air, industry, land mines, waste disposal, and the
well-being of humanity.

No nation has any right to despoil the planet and its atmosphere.  Of
special significance, because of acute dangers connected to it, is nuclear
proliferation.  No nation has the right to conduct atomic experiments, make
atomic bombs, stockpile or transfer atomic facilities, kill God's creatures,
and destroy the Earth.  All nations should completely destroy their atomic
warheads, and, indeed, all weapons of mass destruction, including chemical
and biological weapons.

The Holy Quran declares that unity, trusteeship and accountability, that is
*tawheed*[1], *khilafah*[2], and *akhirah*[3], the three central concepts of
Islam, are also the pillars of the environmental ethics of Islam.  They
constitute the basic values taught by the Qur'an.  It is these values which
led Muhammad, the Prophet of Islam, to say: "Whoever plants a tree and
diligently looks after it until it matures and bears fruit is rewarded," and
"There is none amongst the Muslims who plants a tree or sows seeds, and then
a bird, or a person or an animal eats from it, but is regarded as a
charitable gift from him"[4] and again, "The world is green and beautiful
and Allah has appointed you his stewards over it."  Environmental
consciousness is born when such values are adopted and become an intrinsic
part of our mental and physical makeup.

People need to return to this nexus of values to sustain and nourish the
Earth and its creatures. Holding this way of understanding of themselves and
their environment, they will contribute their share to the general
well-being here and hereafter.  The notions of unity, trusteeship and
accountability should not be reduced to matters of personal piety.  They
must guide all aspects of life and work.  Shariah (Islamic law) must not be
relegated just to issues of crime and punishment.  It must also become the
vanguard for environmental legislation.  When it is often said that Islam is
a complete way of life, is meant that our ethical systems provide the
bearings for all our actions.  Yet our actions often undermine the very
values we cherish.  We must instead judge our actions by them.  They furnish
us with a world-view which enables us to ask environmentally appropriate
questions, draw up the right balance sheet of possibilities, properly weigh
the environmental costs and benefits of what we want, what we can do within
the ethical boundaries established by Allah Subhanahu wa Ta`ala, without
violating the rights of His other creations.  If we use the same standards,
the same understanding in our work as we do to know ourselves as adherents
of Godly creeds and in particular as Muslims - those who subject themselves
to the Will of Allah - then, I believe, we will create a true Islamic
paradigm, a caring and practical way of being, doing and knowing
environmentally conducive acts and shunning destructive ones.

Water quality is one of the hot issues of the current century.  Economic
development needs water; agriculture demands water; life depends on water.
There could be no power and industry without water.  The oceans, coral
reefs, coastal areas, and fragile islands are being hurt by rapidly rising
coastal pollution.  U.N. agencies are working together to protect the marine
environment against radioactive substances, nutrients and sediment
mobilization, oils and litter, physical alterations, sewage, persistent
organic pollutants and heavy metals.  We must respect and take care of our
oceans, bearing in mind the Quranic saying: "It is He Who has made the sea
subject that ye may eat thereof flesh that is fresh and tender and that ye
may extract therefrom ornaments to wear; and thou seest the ships therein
that plough the waves, that ye may seek (thus) of the bounty of Allah and
that ye may be grateful." (16:14)

We need a global program of action to correct the course for mankind to have
a safe and healthy environment.  Global climate changes are taking place.
Humanity has to take proper measures to safeguard the Earth's ecology, using
science to make sound political decisions to protect the land by means such
as reforestation, etc.  We have to conserve biological diversity in order to
protect life on the planet.  Sustainable economic development coupled with
protection of biodiversity can be achieved only by the concerted action of
all nations.

The Quran mentions in 56:59, "Is it ye who create it, or are We the
Creator?" reminding the current age to manage biotechnology safely.
Patenting life forms has opened a hornet's nest of moral, legal, social, and
scientific concerns.  The world's species have to be protected, and
biosafety is essential.  Public concern is growing about the potential risks
of biotechnology.
The Quran warns us, "And follow not the bidding of those who are extravagant
/Who make mischief in the land, and mend not (their ways) .." (
26:151-152).  Hazardous waste and toxic chemicals need attention.  To reduce
chemical risks is vital for sustainable development.

The environmentalists are also warning about the human family.  The poor,
politically powerless in urban ghettoes, rural pockets, and indigenous
strains demand justice to combat the "environmental racism" of selective
abuse and neglect of their land.

Interfaith action for cooperation and responsibility to help the world's
refugee crisis is a challenge that needs attention.  We all have to be
prepared with effective means to combat problems, issues, and conflicts.

Allah (S.W.T.) has appointed man as a *khalifa*, a guardian and a vicegerent
on Earth.  Islam offers an opportunity for understanding the natural order
and human responsibility, within its principles of *tawhid* (the unity of
the Creator), *fitra* (humanity's place in creation), *mizan* (moderation
and reason with justice), and *khilafah* (stewardship).  The message of
Al-Islam in the Holy Quran gives the signs of scientific technology:

Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined
together (as one Unit of Creation), before We clove them asunder?  We made
from water every living thing.  Will they not then believe?  (21:30)

O Children of Adam!  Wear your beautiful apparel at every time and place of
prayer:  eat and drink: But waste not by excess, for Allah loveth not the
wasters. (7:31)

and

(Allah) Most Gracious!
It is He Who has taught the Quran.
He has created man:
He has taught him speech (and Intelligence).
The sun and the moon follow courses (exactly) computed;
And the herbs and the trees both (alike) bow in adoration.
And the Firmament has He raised high, and He has set up the Balance (of
Justice),
In order that ye may not transgress (due) balance,
So establish weight with justice and fall not short in the balance.
It is He Who has spread out the earth for (His) creatures:
Therein is fruit and date-palms, producing spathes (enclosing dates);
Also corn, with (its) leaves and stalk for fodder, and sweet-smelling
plants.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny? (55:1-13)

The knowledge of creation is the basis of environmental teachings in the
Holy Quran.  For example, it is forbidden in Islam to waste water.  Even
when one is performing *wudu* (ablutions for prayers), he is required to use
as little water as possible and not to waste it.  Allah (S.W.T.) will give
to that (water-conserving) person rewards here and in the hereafter.
Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islami (World Muslim Congress) has always been in the
forefront of working with the United Nations, world religious organizations,
and national governments on environmental and ecological issues.  Its
president, Dr. Abdullah bin Omar Nasseef, has been the pioneer
environmentalist.  Motamar's representatives have always attended
conferences to enhance the United Nations' programs as well as other
environmental parleys in Islamic countries.  Motamar also sent a delegation
to the United Nations Conference on the Environment and Development (the
"Earth Summit", Rio de Janeiro, June 1992), which, by way of their various
interventions, opened new avenues of cooperation among all peoples.

[1] Monotheism
[2] Vicegerent
[3] The Hereafter
[4] Hadith (Tradition of the Prophet) 1071 [3:513-O.B], The Book of
Cultivation and Agriculture, from Sahih Al-Bukhari, Darul Ahya Us-Sunnah
Al-Nabawiya, Pahari Bhojla, Delhi, India: 1994

*II. Proposals by Respective NGOs*

1.      In the following, we shall discuss the proposal(s) made by the
fourteen Asian NGOs, most of them with substantial African experience, on
the theme of the "Role of the United Nations System in Supporting the
Efforts of African Countries to Achieve Sustainable Development." We begin
with the NGOs based outside of Japan, and then turn attention to the NGOs
based in Japan.

2.      The World Muslim Congress (WMC), based in Pakistan, recognizes that
today's humanity as a whole - including both the developing world and the
industrialized countries - are facing grave problems. To improve the
situation, the UN should confront "the scourges of drug abuse and
alcoholism, which are the basic causes of domestic violence, fatal health
problems, destruction of the institution of family, and economic stress, as
well as premarital and extramarital affaires, which further cause health
hazards such as HIV/AIDS, the problem of unwanted pregnancies and the rising
incidence of divorce." Additionally, the battle against "the threat to
environmental deterioration, which was addressed by the Kyoto Agreement,
needs further support and boost by the UN through information programs
organized especially by the NGOs." (This statement is also endorsed by the
World Council of Muslim Communities.) By Dr Malik Khan

To unsubscribe from this email list, please Reply with Unsubscribe in the
subject line.