[WSIS CS-Plenary] By end June 17th: Endorsement: OECD Civil Society Declaration

Ezendu Ariwa e.ariwa at londonmet.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 12:29:52 BST 2008

Dear Karen

Thanks

I am happy to endorse the OECD CS Declaration

Ezendu
> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list.
> Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific
> people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of
> this message!
> _______________________________________
>
> hi everyone
>
> *** Organisations are invited to endorse the OECD CS Declaration (see
> below) - some of you would have been involved in the drafting on the
> publically accessible Public Voice Coalition list..
>
> if any would like to endorse, please let me know by the end of the
> day (offlist) . I am sorry for the short notice but the declaration
> was only finalised yesterday. ***
>
> ====
>
> the statement is in pdf format here:
> http://thepublicvoice.org/events/seoul08/seoul-declaration.pdf
>
> and in text below..
>
> thanks a lot
>
> karen
> ====
>
> June 2008 1 "The Civil Society-TUAC Seoul Declaration"
>
> CIVIL SOCIETY - TUAC
>
> "THE SEOUL DECLARATION" TO THE OECD MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE ON THE
> FUTURE OF THE INTERNET ECONOMY
>
> Seoul, Korea

> This gathering of civil society organizations and organized labor at
> the OECD Ministerial Conference on the Future of the Internet Economy
> provides a unique opportunity to bring to the attention of the OECD
> Ministers assembled and the OECD member countries the concerns and
> aspirations of people around the globe, those who are on the Internet
> and those who are not. We thank the OECD and the Government of Korea
> for the opportunity to organize a civil society and labor event and
> to participate in the OECD Ministerial Conference. Civil society and
> labor together prepared a paper for the OECD and organized a
> conference "Making the future of the Internet work for citizens,
> consumers and workers." A wide range of organizations participated in
> this effort, and this Declaration builds on its results.
>
> A BROAD FRAMEWORK FOR THE FUTURE OF THE INTERNET ECONOMY
>
> The policy goals for the Future Internet Economy should be considered
> within the broader framework of protection of human rights, the
> promotion of democratic institutions, access to information, and the
> provision of affordable and non-discriminatory access to advanced
> communication networks and services. Compliance with international
> human rights standards and respect for the rule of law, as well as
> effective human rights protection, must be the baseline for assessing
> global information society policies. Economic growth should be for
> the many and not the few. The Internet should be available to all. We
> therefore call attention of the OECD to Ministers to the following
> issues and we make the following recommendations:
>
> * Freedom of expression. Freedom of expression is being violated
> [...]

Ezendu Ariwa
BITM Programme and Pathway Leader
Senior Lecturer - Strategic Information Systems
Business Analysis, Information Systems, Transport and Logistics Subject Group
London Metropolitan Business School
London Metropolitan University
277-281 Holloway Road
London N7 8HN