[WSIS CS-Plenary] GAID Open COnsultation - webcatsed and remote participation modalities

Ronda Hauben ronda.netizen at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:31:27 BST 2008

Was there some way to participate via email in the open session?

I tried via the following email but have no idea if it had any chance of
being considered as a contribution?

from: Ronda Hauben <ronda.netizen at gmail.com>
To: gaid at un-gaid.org <tgaid at un-gaid.org>
cc: ronda hauben <ronda.netizen at gmail.com>
date: Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:17 AM
subject: comment for meeting
mailed-by: gmail.com
10:17 AM (3 minutes ago) Reply

I am wondering if there is any desire to have a focus for gaid that is more
scientifically oriented rather than so business oriented.

This would require a different focus than what seems to exist currently.

Several of the current programs I have seen the agenda of appear to
emphasize people from business or entrepreneur oriented
speakers.

I was just part of a very interesting forum in China where we looked at the
impact of the Internet considering the development of netizens and of
Chinese netizens.

Such a program provided a focus why it is important to develop and spread
the Internet.

Also looking at how the Internet was developed and spread and how the
development agenda can learn from the past experience would be a possible
topic for a forum. For example, the beginning of international email in
China was the result of a collaboration between German and Chinese
researchers with help from a program under the World Bank. Looking at such
examples could perhaps help to provide models or ideas for how to continue
to spread the Internet in development situations.

with best wishes

Ronda

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Sophia Huyer <shuyer at wigsat.org> wrote:

>  [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire
> list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific
> people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of
> this message!
> _______________________________________
>

> Hello Philip,
> Are there any NGO sessions scheduled for later today or tomorrow?  I'm here
> at the UNCTAD ICT Partnership meeting, but if there is an afternoon or
> morning meeting on the CSTD session, I would like to attend (if that is
> acceptable).
>
> Thanks,
> Sophia
>

>  On 27-May-08, at 2:46 PM, Philippe Dam wrote:
>
>  [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire
> list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific
> people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of
> this message!
> _______________________________________
>
>  Dear all,
>
> This is to remind you that the open consultation of the Global Alliance for
> ICT and Development is taking place in Room A (ITU Headquarters).
> As indicated in the invitation letter and agenda (hereby attached), the
> meeting will be web-casted and remote participation will be provided:
>
> -          For the *web cast* please see
> http://www.itu.int/ibs/WSIS/200805cluster/index.html
> -          A *conference call facility* will be at the disposal of the
> remote users from 15:00 to 18:00. The call in number is 00 41 22 9170900 +
> code pin 51692.
>
> Sorry for the last minute notice but we just received the information
> today.
>
> Best,
>
> Philippe
> <invite_openconsultation.pdf>

Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook