[WSIS CS-Plenary] Joint research collaboration

Ezendu Ariwa e.ariwa at londonmet.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 18:12:15 BST 2008

Dear Nnenna

I am interested in collaborating with you and your team o0n a research
project in Africa using practice based or evidence based approach in terms
of maximaxing ICT application and competencies for public sectors

We can write a joiint bid for the grant

Kindly let me know if yoiur are interested for such collaboration

Ezendu
> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list.
> Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific
> people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of
> this message!
> _______________________________________
>
> Subject: <incom> Standards: ISO steps towards social responsibility
>

> After the OOXML debacle, many countries (Brazil and South Africa,
> among others) question the neutrality of the ISO, unclear whether this
> will affect one of their latest projects as well, interesting
> regardless imo esp. in relationship to fair it projects, which could
> certainly use another lever, Soenke
>
> <http://www.ethicalcorp.com/content.asp?ContentID=6094&newsletter=24>
>
> Standards: ISO steps towards social responsibility
>
> The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is one step
> closer to launching a global standard for "social responsibility"
> The ISO Social Responsibility Working Group took a small – but
> potentially historic – step forward at its recent meeting in Santiago
> de Chile on September 1-5, 2008.
>
> Nearly 400 experts and observers from around the world agreed that
> sufficient progress had been made in developing the draft
> international standard on social responsibility for the "working
> draft" to be taken to "committee draft" level.
>
> In the process of ISO standards' development, this takes the draft
> standard one stage closer to the wider consultation and voting phases
> that could see it available for public use globally in 2010.
>
> For readers unfamiliar with these negotiations, a short history of a
> long story is in order.
>
> Long road
>
> Best known for its widely used technical and management standards, ISO
> embarked in 2005 on its first "soft" standard - on social
> responsibility.
>
> As a new and controversial subject area for ISO, the mandate given to
> the working group was to develop a standard by late 2008 that would
> provide voluntary guidance to all organisations, public and private.
>
> While there were proponents (especially from developing countries) who
> wanted a standard that could be used for certification purposes – to
> demonstrate their world class performance to increasingly picky
> northern consumers and investors – others argued that ethical issues
> were too soft and culture-defined for certification.
>
> As a result, it was agreed that the standard would not be a management
> system standard (like the popular ISO 14001 standard), and could not
> be used for certification.
>
> Since March 2005, there have been six negotiating sessions of the
> Working Group on Social Responsibility. Experts and observers from six
> groups – government, industry, labour, consumer organisations, NGOs,
> and a group of academic, consultant, standards and other bodies – have
> been working intensively on reaching consensus on what "social
> [...]

Ezendu Ariwa
BITM Programme and Pathway Leader
Senior Lecturer - Strategic Information Systems
Business Analysis, Information Systems, Transport and Logistics Subject Group
London Metropolitan Business School
London Metropolitan University
277-281 Holloway Road
London N7 8HN