[WSIS CS-Plenary] Regarding Digital Solidarity Fund's Risk of Disappearing

BluMail Info info at blumail.org
Fri Apr 17 09:54:29 BST 2009

I agree with Darian Rodriguez Heyman about the importance of reaching out to
the David and Lucile Packard Foundation as well as to other tech-based
foundations to seek their input, commitment and funding for a new fund that
addresses 21st Century concerns.  Perhaps GAID could plan a conference in
Silicon Valley involving country donors, tech firms and foundations, NGOs,
and UN organizations to scope out the vision, funding priorities, mission,
and strategy of a new fund.
Having worked with several donor countries who may welcome the opportunity
to provide input before being approached for funding, I might suggest
inviting prospective donors from Austria, Belgium,
Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands,
Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK, and US.  Happy to provide
their contact information.

And we just facilitated a delegation of USAID and NGO representatives to
meet with Silicon Valley firms, VC funds, and foundations where in just a
matter of a few weeks, truly innovative partnerships are emerging.  If there
is interest in coordinating some kind of conference, I'm happy to provide
contact information for Apple, Case Foundation, Cisco, Dell, Facebook, Flora
Family Foundation, Ford Foundation, Global Catalyst Foundation, Google, HP,
IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Omidyar Network, Salesforce.com, Skoll Foundation,
Sun and others.

Having raised funds from donors, foundations, and through global donation
campaigns through the years, I think with a little coordinated
effort,millions could be raised to start addressing the tech for development
issues that, if tackled, can truly bring global connection, connectivity,
education, equipment, and policy change for all.

All the best and regards,
Sarah

Sarah McCue, Ph.D.
Founder and Board Chair, BluMail
Former Senior Tech Partnership Advisor, World Bank
Former Manager, ICT for Development Practice, UNDP

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Darian Rodriguez Heyman <