[WSIS CS-Plenary] PROPOSAL: PrepCom III Coordination

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Sat Aug 2 13:17:42 BST 2003

greetings to everyone,

It's two weeks since the intersessional finished and 6 weeks before PrepCom
III begins - so if you think the last 2 weeks have passed quickly, no doubt
the next 6 will just as swiftly!..

We should know more about onsite facilities and room arrangements for
PrepCom III by August 5th, so thought it a good opportunity to move forward
on the proposal made by ralf bendrath which would seem non-contentious (and
supported by others) re putting together some basic coordination plans for
between now and prepcom III.

Before that, I thought it might be useful to summarise (as best and briefly
as i can) the comments of participants in response to the current
discussions regarding the legitimacy of the CSP, CT and CSB, roles and
relationships between them.

1) Sean's first proposal
- legitimacy of the CSPlenary etc
---------------------------------
Almost all of the response to sean's proposal were in support of/broadly in
agreement with, his 5 points, with additional notes:

- The NGO Gender Strategies Working group asked for a reformulation of
point 3 (being as open to different perspectives and viewpoints as possible);
- there was some discussion concerns the meaning of certain terms (such as
'serve') when translated into other languages
- Wolfgang Kleinwachter then posted an additional piece adding further
clarity to the roles of the 3 Civil Society organsiational elements. Many
supported a merging of wolfgang's definitions with sean's.
- a proposal to add a 6th point regards the need for translation of
important documents into english, french and spanish (which was supported
by members of the LAC caucus, the African caucus and other individual
participants)

[On this note, it's worth highlighting that after collective and voluntary
efforts to translate some of these posts into french and spanish, that a
noticable increase in spanish/french speaking subscriptions to the plenary
and subsequent posting took place].

2) Sean's second proposal
- formation of a Task Group
--------------------------
Sean posted a second proposal to form an "adhoc Task Group charged with
coming to agreement on civil society structures and relations within a
short period (one month).  This agreement would be put for approval to all
CS bodies."

Most of the postings in response to sean's proposal welcomed the spirit of
intention to move constructively forward, but **didn't** see the need to
spend time on re-stating the legitimacy, roles and relationships of the 3
CS elements (CSPlenary, CS Content and Themes Group, CS Bureau).

Most feel that this work has already been done, and whilst needing to
clarify some aspects, we need to move on

PROPOSAL
========
1) To ask a small group of people (possibly sean, wolfgang, renate - others
who are interested) to work from the generally agreed 6 points (Sean's
proposal), wolfgang's further clarification and other existing
comments/documents and produce a document that defines and clarifies the
roles and relationships of the CSP, CT Content and themes group and CSB. If
the plenary agrees, we can use this is a base document which the plenary
endorses.

it shouldn't be too much work, and we need it for orientation for new WSIS
participants, for informational purposes on websites, mailing lists etc.

Anyway, that's a suggestion..

2) There is a general affirmation from participants in plenary, that the
primary responsibility for discussion of issues and identification of
speakers for PrepCom III lies with the Content and Themes group.

We mandate the Content and Themes group, through the mechanisms they agree
on, to continue working on coordination plans for the development of
Content, and for continuing discussions with the CS Bureau regards
mechanisms for the allocation of speaking slots, timing of speaking slots
and identification of speakers.

3) We begin work on identifying our coordination and logistics needs which
would include (initial ideas):

* creation of coordination at wsis-cs.org

* call for volunteers who would be tasked defining the basic coordination
remit including:

CSP
- office/space needs (in general - CS coordination/CT group/Caucuses etc)
- onsite communication and logistics needs (including help with websites,
lists etc)
- translation (both online and onsite needs)
- onsite monitoring
- onsite reporting and info dissemination (including outreach to media)
- developing a delegate lobbying strategy (knowing which gov delegations
have NGO reps and forming       stronger relationships with them)
- anything else we decide on..

Communication flows
- clarifying objectives of existing lists
- define mechanisms to ensure permanent feedback from and between the CS
Plenary, Content and Themes Groups and regional caucuses and working groups

* have our basic needs ready by aug 5th when louise shall supposedely
respond with more info

* at at later point, break out into sub-groups on other lists on as as
needed basis

Look forward to comments generally and expressions of interest in working
on (3) coordination plans

karen